Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images are blank when editing or viewing full size

Installed iphoto v8.1.1 on a Mac Mini Server (OS X 10.6.2 Server) and having trouble with iphoto viewing the full images.

In a new iphoto library I imported images (dragged a folder onto the iphoto icon). This brought in what appeared to be the images but it seems it's only the thumbnails. I can see the images within the events and in the list of photos. However when I double click a photo, nothing happens. If I click edit, I have the thumbs across the top but a black screen below. If I click a photo and select Full Screen from the the View menu, I also get the thumbs across the top and a blank/black screen.

Any ideas?

Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Iphoto 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 9:35 AM

12 replies

Dec 27, 2009 11:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am having a similar issue. I had to restore from discs all previous libraries. Not only are some blank but in the info box the 'kind' is blank and the size says 9688735147 GB. I discovered this when I tried to export and obviously couldn't. I tried right clicking the thumbnail and the show file or original was grayed out. I already trashed the libraries and started over. everything appeared ok til after I closed it and it gave the saving dialog box which starts up automatically but you can click the 'later' box. I right-clicked an adjacent file to show file and then right-clicked the problem file next to it to get info and the original is normal. I already rebuilt the library the first time around and that didn't help the giantic GB file. I have about 8 of them.

Dec 27, 2009 12:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

The files are there. I did a File File and they're all there. At first what I was doing was moving an entire library from one mac to another. I figured it had something to do with bringing the library over. When that didn't work I trashed the library and created a new one. Then I imported in a single picture and then a few more but same issue.

Dec 27, 2009 11:32 PM in response to neepie

neepie

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

The !turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Option 1
Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2
Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

ps Please don't type in block capitals. They are hard to read and on the forum you seem like you are rudely shouting at everybody.

Images are blank when editing or viewing full size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.