Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playing xbox on mac os

i have a 13'' aluminum macbook with leopard 10.5.8 and i was wondering if i could use a video capture product(http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html) to hook up and play my xbox 360 on my macbook screen.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 4:36 PM

5 replies

Dec 29, 2009 11:00 AM in response to canadianbeef

You want a "TV tuner" type product. Many of the TV tuners only have a connector for the antenna, so you'll want to find one that has a composite video input or S-video input. (Composite video, the kind for hooking up a cheap VCR, etc.) Without the composite video input, you'd need an RF modulator, which is getting harder to find nowdays and would give you very poor video quality anyway.

I haven't seen any USB TV tuners that have component video input. Component video is higher quality than composite video, but you may have to settle for composite or S-video.

Dec 30, 2009 5:30 AM in response to canadianbeef

I read in a magazine about the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid, which was recommended for playing console games on the Mac. Unlike other similar products, the EyeTV Hybrid does not encode video before sending it to the Mac. This means there is only a few milliseconds of delay, meaning no appreciable lag.

See the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid FAQ for more information: http://support.elgato.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=englishdefault&m=knowledgebase&a=viewarticle&parentcategoryid=1&kbarticleid=1063

If you decide to get the device, I found it in the Apple store for $149.95 (Free shipping). It comes with an adaptor to allow composite RCA and S-Video to be connected (no support for HDTV, however).
I hope that this helps you to make a decision on what to do.

DAB_Mac

playing xbox on mac os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.