Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sort by date with oldest first in icon view in Finder?

In Finder, when I view "As Icons", and "Keep Arranged" by "Date Created", it sorts them in reverse date order with the most recent first. But if I try to check the "Date Created" option again over this already checked option, it doesn't ever sort in ascending date order with the oldest first. Is there any way to sort with oldest first?

Macbook Pro (silver), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 2G

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 4:46 PM

no, this is not possible.
4 replies

Jan 17, 2010 5:49 AM in response to g-pod

If you ever find the answer, I'd love to know as well. How odd is it that you can do this. I tried several searches for this in software hacks, and applications that let you alter icon views and the like. Can't believe the limited interest in correcting it either.
I was looking for a way to display screen shots of various jpeg elements with files names that double as instructions in a tutorial. Icon view allowed me to see pictures in a large enough size to use as instructions with the corresponding file names. All I would have had to do was screen shots assembled into a PDF and I would have been done. Having to retype every instruction along with copy, and pasting into a new document and so forth is more than double the work for any set of pictorial instructions.
Maybe Garage Band or some other application is the workaround until then. I'll let you know if I ever find a better workaround, or the solution.

Jan 17, 2010 6:51 AM in response to g-pod

The workaround for sorting the icons, and including the file names is Adobe Acrobat Pro's create pdf portfolio option. This is an expensive workaround if you don't already have it. It is however exactly what I needed to customize the actual image rather than the icon it represented, as well as include the file names for sorting according to date created, oldest to newest.
Clearly not the simplest way to rearrange finder items, especially if they are not compatible with adobe in the even that you are sorting anything other than jpegs, or pdf's. However, if you are doing the kind of work that I do, (teaching) this is actually the solution that serves my needs best.

How do I sort by date with oldest first in icon view in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.