Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot From A Firewire External HDD

hi,

i have an imac(intel).

i'm wondering if i can boot from a firewire linked external hard disk if i partition and install os on the external hdd.

i have installed linux on an usb 2.0 linked external hard disk, and sure it is not bootable.

thanks.

iMac(intel), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 3:36 AM

17 replies

Dec 29, 2009 7:39 AM in response to JhnD

So the answer is yes, you can and as a matter of fact with the Intel Macs you can boot into OSX with either USB or Firewire external drives.

Plug the drive into the Mac and boot from the install DVD by pressing and holding the "C-key".

Go through the steps of installation but in the "Select a Destination"screen choose the external drive, which should be formatted using "OSX Extended Journaled" and the "GUID Partition Table".

Once OSX is loaded you can boot to it by:

Plugging in the ext-drive then boot the Mac while holding down the "Option-key".
This will launch the Startup Manager so that you can choose which drive to boot from for that one instance.

Dec 30, 2009 12:33 AM in response to JhnD

Hello again,

Its a complicated issue IMHO. Thats why I worded my first reply as I did. Rather than go into reams and reams of explanation. I would be so bold as to suggest that you google the issue, using the phrase...

Boot a Mac using an external drive ( then add USB or FW ) to drill further.

In a nutshell then...

PPC Mac - Bootable only with FW drives.

Intel Mac - Bootable using USB or FW drives - depending on certain variables.

I trust that is as clear as Greek mud!

Regards once more.

Ian.

Jan 6, 2010 12:43 PM in response to Ian Bickerstaffe

hi, lan,

how many diff oses can be shown on the apple boot option(option key)?

i do not remember but if i recall correctly is 2....

then how am i going to set the 3rd boot option(linux in a firewire extenal disk)?

btw, can imac(intell) install another hd?

if my imac or mac pro has two or more hard drive, does that mean i can install a diff os on a diff drive, and can boot as many as the kinds of diff oses.

thanksl

Jan 6, 2010 4:37 PM in response to JhnD

JhnD wrote:
hi, lan,

how many diff oses can be shown on the apple boot option(option key)?

OSX will show as many options as bootable systems it finds.

if my imac or mac pro has two or more hard drive, does that mean i can install a diff os on a diff drive, and can boot as many as the kinds of diff oses.

Yes. You can even make 2 or more partitions on a drive, and put a bootable system on each one.

As an example, my internal HD has a small partition with Leopard installed on it, in case I need to run or test something with Leopard. I also have a "clone" of my system, as a backup, on an external HD.

Boot From A Firewire External HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.