Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password Error -25293

Hello! I searched various topics before posting this to see if I could find an answer to my question, but to no avail. It always bugs me when someone asks a question that they could have found the answer to elsewhere if they had only looked a little harder...that having been said, if this HAS been answered somewhere already and I overlooked it, I apologize, and please direct me to that response!

I needed to remember the password for an application (Fetch) that has used autofill for the last few years. So I went into Keychain Access, found and opened the keychain, and clicked on "Show Password." I expected to have to enter my general Keychain password, but instead it asked me to type the password for Fetch, which is what I was looking for in the first place. I tried a few things that I thought it might be, and finally it restricted me from trying again.

Next, I went into Fetch, and noticed that it no longer used autofill, probably because it knew that I didn't enter the password correctly in Keychain. Here I tried another slew of passwords, until I finally remembered the correct one. So I selected "Add to Keychain" when I typed it again, then I received the Error -25293 message.

Upon opening Keychain and attempting to access that item again, I had to type in my general password. However, after correctly entering my general password I received the message "Access to this item is restricted," and I was no longer able to view the password. I tried deleting the keychain (but not its references, I hit the delete key instead of going into File > Delete Keychain login) and tried re-adding it through Fetch, but I'm getting the same error message. I've also tried repairing Keychain, and that hasn't helped.

Does anyone know either how I can add this keychain again in order for Fetch to use autofill, or know another way to solve my problem?

Thank you!

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 10:35 AM

something is clearly wrong with your keychain. it should certainly only ask for the general keychain password when trying to show the password of any particular keychain item. do you have a backup of your keychain? you caould restore it replacing the current keychain. if you don't have a backup and if keychain first aid doesn't help I can only suggest deleting the whole login keychain and recreating it from scratch. quit keychain access. go to the folder homedirectory/library/keychains and rename login.keychain to loginold.kecyhain. then log out/in. a new blank login keychain will be created. you can start saving passwords in it. also, you can open the old keychain and drag individual items to the new one. but you can only drag keychain items one by one and you have to authenticate with the general keychain password every time.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2009 10:35 AM in response to casama

something is clearly wrong with your keychain. it should certainly only ask for the general keychain password when trying to show the password of any particular keychain item. do you have a backup of your keychain? you caould restore it replacing the current keychain. if you don't have a backup and if keychain first aid doesn't help I can only suggest deleting the whole login keychain and recreating it from scratch. quit keychain access. go to the folder homedirectory/library/keychains and rename login.keychain to loginold.kecyhain. then log out/in. a new blank login keychain will be created. you can start saving passwords in it. also, you can open the old keychain and drag individual items to the new one. but you can only drag keychain items one by one and you have to authenticate with the general keychain password every time.

Keychain Password Error -25293

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.