Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing Documents folder

Hope this is the correct forum. I just had a data transfer take place -- the contents of my old mac mini with Tiger OS transferred to a new mac mini with Snow Leopard as OS. When I open my Documents folder all that's in there is a subfolder called Microsoft User Data. All my personal documents have disappeared. Please help!

Mac mini 1.42, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 8:04 PM

9 replies

Dec 30, 2009 3:42 AM in response to jap0nica

jap0nica wrote:
Yes, I am logged into my own account which is the Administrator account. I can't even locate my documents folder using Spotlight.

From the admin account, navigate to the root level "Users" folder using Finder. This folder should have at least two folders in it, a home folder for your admin account with that account's short name, & one named "Shared." Are there are any other folders in "Users" not inside either of these two? If so, there is now more than one user account on the Mac & the other one may be the equivalent of what was your account on the other Mac.

If not, take the two Macs back to the store & ask them to explain what they did & why they did not transfer all your files.

Dec 30, 2009 8:05 AM in response to donv_the_ghost

I have made a thorough search of everything under USERS. My docs have definitely disappeared. Unfortunately, I have already cleaned my old mac mini in order to sell it. I guess I have to face the fact my docs are gone. The remainder of my data was transferred just fine. I am surprised because I was dealing with a very reliable computer store.... but not so surprised when researching this problem on Google and finding dozens of people complaining about the same thing.

thanks for all your suggestions

Dec 30, 2009 9:18 AM in response to jap0nica

jap0nica wrote:
I have made a thorough search of everything under USERS.

Make absolutely certain that on the new Mac you use Finder, are looking in the root level "Users" folder (which has a special folder icon with an embossed outline of a head & shoulders on it), & that there are two & only two folders in the top level of that folder. Do a "Get Info" on this "Users" folder & make sure that permissions for admin & "everyone" are set to at least "Read Only" & for "system" is set to "Read & Write."

If any of the above doesn't seem to describe exactly what you see, please post something about that -- it may be a clue that the missing folder is hidden somewhere you can't see.

Dec 30, 2009 3:12 PM in response to R C-R

Yes, everything you describe is as it should be.

But I have another question (related). In the Finder under PLACES, I have: Desktop, my name, applications, movies, music and pictures. Why is there not a readily accessible folder named Documents? Why do you have to follow the convoluted path in the Users folder???

missing Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.