14959 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2010 9:46 AM by piera81
Check this page: http://discussions.nokia.com.au/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&messa ge.id=39958
There is a custom plugin for the 5230 there, plus howto's for making your own, should it not work.
Thanks for the info, in fact I had to fix myself the plugin suggested by your link (see stephenlo link) re-inserting the original .tiff image in place of that provided by the modified plugin.
Let me summarize what I did and worked (from your link plus my fixes):
1. download the 5230 plugin from http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.4shared.com%252Ffile%252F 186815418%252F858fd09c%252FNokia5230_isync_plugin2v1pho.html&h=3c5ba33f8939bf30c255341d63d7bec2&ref=share; this is the original plugin for Nokia 5800 modified by stephenlo to work with 5230
2. download the Nokia original plugin for Nokia 5800 from http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-and-software/software/isync/compatibility-an d-download
3. in the finder open both the downloaded plugin package, Nokia5230_isync_plugin2v1.phoneplugin, and the original plugin package Nokia5800_XpressMusic_isync_plugin2v1.phoneplugin, open both their Contents/Resources folder
4. remove the Nokia5230.tiff file from the 5230 plugin and replace it with the Nokia5800XpressMusic.tiff file by copying it from the 5800 plugin
5. modify the ModelIcon String in the +Root/Nokia5230/Services/0/Service Properties+ (in the 5230 plugin Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist) from Nokia5230.tiff to Nokia5800XpressMusic.tiff, to match the new file name (you can use the Property List editor free from Apple - or the free application TextWrangler)
6. set the modified plugin into your home/Library/PhonePlugins folder (if PhonePlugins does not exists just create it).
Now you should be able to sync Nokia 5230 with your Mac.
Better: you can download the fixed plugin from
+Note: this plugin result from my best effort to make iSync work with Nokia 5230 while waiting for an original Nokia plugin, but by no means I guarantee that it will work in any situation. I'm not responsible for any data loss or corruption on your Mac or on your Nokia phone. This plugin might be not compatible with other phone plugins. I strongly suggest to replace it with the original Nokia 5230 plugin as soon as this will be made available by Nokia.+
I know I'm a little late on this one but now I find the media download problem as discussed above also. I have followed all the info above but am now very confused!
I have downloaded the revised plugin and made the sync to my 5230 successfully - I think! I have created the home/Library/PhonePlugins folder as suggested and downloaded Nokia Multimedia Transfer and put it into my apps folder. I have enabled bluetooth and USB connectivity on my 'phone and it all seemed to sync ok.
*But what do I do now*? How do I know if it is all active and ok? My son has iTunes on his laptop and says my 'phone should show up on my Mac iTunes when I try to export some music - is this correct?
If anyone can give me some help on this it would be great. I cannot believe Nokia would do this when in direct competition with the iPhone and others, albeit the 5230 is somewhat cheaper! Help please!
I am on OSX 10.5.8 Leopard.
I found a plugin that worked perfectly for synching Nokia 5230 with my mac, using iSync.
It was $9.95 US, but since I'm not technically savvy (those instruction and lines of code in other fixes were a bit intimidating to me), I bit the bullet and paid for a fix.
here's a link to the product I bought:
Hope that helps others like me who just want to get the sync working.