Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much RAM is supported in Windows XP

The topic says it all, I have 2GB RAM at the moment and am considering upgrading to 4GB or 6GB RAM in total. I was wondering whether Windows XP (32-bit) can support 6GB or just the 4GB. Obviously the more the better, considering I do a lot of HD video editing.

Thanks, Mark.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I thought this would be the most appropriate.

iMac Late 2007 2GB RAM 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 1:35 PM

11 replies

Dec 30, 2009 2:10 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the link, I'll looked at a few more websites as well. I've gathered that XP 32-bit has a 4GB Memory limit, and that hard drives, video cards and sound cards etc take up some of this memory. Only after they have used some of the memory, then whatever RAM you have will boost it up to the full 4GB. So
I'd end up with around 3-3.4 gig of main memory available for XP to use after everything else has used the memory.

Is this all right, If so then I will probably just buy 4GB RAM as I can make use of it on the Mac side, and will have to loose around 1GB on the Windows side. I don't want to have to update to 64-bit especially as only a few programs support it.

Thanks again, Mark.

Dec 30, 2009 2:28 PM in response to TheEnglishClutch

Macs from pre-2008 usually only got to use 2GB. Unlike PC, Apple's EFI firmware support vs PC BIOS haven't always allowed even the 3.3GB.

As for 64-bit support, most people are building and buying 64-bit hardware and Windows 7 has excellent support for even 32-bit. 3 yrs ago drivers were an issue.

There is as much or more trouble with Snow Leopard's 64-bit mode and drivers than 7's.

Jan 1, 2010 9:05 AM in response to TheEnglishClutch

Maybe you should talk to
I'm running Windows 7 via Bootcamp, and for the first time I'm considering removing the Mac OS X completely from my workstation, and running W7 full-time. I do video editing in Sony Vegas primarily, used to only use Photoshop / Lightroom in Mac OS X, but I'm finding the 64-bit compatibility in W7 far surpasses the "slimmed down" compatibility in SL.

Mac Pro as PC/Win7

How much RAM is supported in Windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.