Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

PARALLELS: Can I convert a .DMG or a Bootcamp partition to .HDD?

4249 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2009 3:23 PM by liquidmice RSS
liquidmice Level 3 Level 3 (750 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 31, 2009 12:50 PM
I have a Bootcamp partition with an XP install. I have also imaged the partition as a .DMG via Disk Utility. I would like to convert one of those to a full virtual disk (.hdd) to be used in Parallels. I know I can "access" the Bootcamp partition in parallels and that it will appear as an virtual disk, but that is not what I want to do. I want to fully convert the .DMG or Bootcamp partition into a standalone .hdd virtual disk.

From what I understand, VMware Fusion provides an option to convert a bootcamp install into a VMware vmdk file. If this is the case, and Parallels cannot, I made the wrong purchase!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8GHz (Core 2 Duo), 4GB DDR3,, Other OS, 160GB iPod Classic, 80GB iPod Classic, 16GB Nano.
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,035 points)
    Parallels is able to use a Boot Camp partition with Windows as a VM on its own. You don't have to convert anything. It might help if you read the documentation for the product before trying to use it.

In the future if you have a question about Parallels you should post it at the Parallels' forums. The Apple Discussions are for Apple products. If your question is about Windows or Boot Camp on the Mac, then there are two dedicated forums for each, and you should post in those forums.
    Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz; MBP Unibody; MBP C2D 2.33 Ghz; MBP 2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iMac C2D 17"; MB 2.0 Ghz; 80GB iPod Video; iPod Touch; iPod Nano 2GB
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,035 points)
    Well, I disagree. The question is about Parallels, not OS X.

Install Parallels. It will discover your Boot Camp installation and should automatically create the VM. If it doesn't then simply create a new VM and choose the option to use your Boot Camp Windows. And, when you get the box, read the manual.

Seems you are jumping the gun trying to figure out what to do without the product in hand. And, you do not migrate anything. The Transporter is used to migrate from a real PC or a VM created by another virtualization product like VM Fusion.

BTW, Parallels' web site has a demo you can view. And you can download the documentation here.

Message was edited by: Kappy
    Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz; MBP Unibody; MBP C2D 2.33 Ghz; MBP 2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iMac C2D 17"; MB 2.0 Ghz; 80GB iPod Video; iPod Touch; iPod Nano 2GB
  • rccharles Level 5 Level 5 (5,150 points)
    It has been awhile, but I think all of to do is renamed the .DMG to .HDD.

This assumes .DMG is a fix size image without any compression.
    iMac G3 600, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.