4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2010 10:11 AM by Pierre-Antonin
Pierre-Antonin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hello

until recently I was operating as it follows: one iMac (Leopard) and one MacBook pro (Snow Leopard) both connected wireless to a Time Capsule. The back up were working fine for both computers. I have then installed a utility called Back in Time to enhance the info you get about back-ups.
I must admit I might have caused some damage to the disk image for the back up for the iMac. At this point nothing is happening any more during the back-up process for the iMac. Meanwhile the back up process for the MacBook pro keep working fine so far.

At this point I am thinking about starting the back-up process from scratch for the iMac: I mean erase the back ups made in the past and start from fresh (without causing problems to what has been done for the MacBook pro). How can I do that?

Mac Book Pro 17" + iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,515 points)
    Pierre-Antonin wrote:
    until recently I was operating as it follows: one iMac (Leopard) and one MacBook pro (Snow Leopard) both connected wireless to a Time Capsule. The back up were working fine for both computers. I have then installed a utility called Back in Time to enhance the info you get about back-ups.
    I must admit I might have caused some damage to the disk image for the back up for the iMac. At this point nothing is happening any more during the back-up process for the iMac. Meanwhile the back up process for the MacBook pro keep working fine so far.

At this point I am thinking about starting the back-up process from scratch for the iMac: I mean erase the back ups made in the past and start from fresh (without causing problems to what has been done for the MacBook pro). How can I do that?

If you use the Finder to mount the disk in the Time Capsule (probably called "Data"), you should see a "sparsebundle" file for each of your Macs. Just drag the one you want to erase to the trash. It should be deleted immediately, but if not then empty the trash.
  • Pierre-Antonin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Ok many thanks for that. Then how do I restart the back-up process with Time Machine?
  • William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,515 points)
    Pierre-Antonin wrote:
    Ok many thanks for that. Then how do I restart the back-up process with Time Machine?

I'd use the "Time Machine" panel of System Preferences to invoke the "Change Disk" option to redeclare that Time Machine should write its backups to your Time Capsule.
  • Pierre-Antonin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hello

I forgot to mention that everything was just fine. Thanks again to have helped me solving that problem.

Pierre