Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Belkin USB F5D7050 causes panic

I am working on a friend's G4 PowerMac with Leopard. I have been trying to set up a USB wireless adapter F5D7050. I downloaded the Ralink drivers, installed them, plugged in the adapter, found it in the Network prefs and activated it, but as soon as I try to access my router, I get total kernel panic followed by the grey curtain over the screen forcing a shutdown.

Now if I do a restart with the device plugged in, the mac panics on startup at the final windows as it is setting networking up.

Any ideas of things I can try? BTW, I set the same adapter up on my intel macbook with the same drivers and it worked fine (Snow Leopard).

Thanks; Rick

MacPro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 8:55 AM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2010 2:10 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi Tom,

It is a 7050B, which seems to be a Version 3 on the Belkin site, so should be Ralink 2.0 as far as I can tell. BTW, I loaded a fresh Tiger system without anything else on an old drive just to see if it would panic, and it did as soon as the 7050 found the router and became actively connected to my router via the Ralink software.

Jan 4, 2010 12:47 PM in response to aimpromo

I have solved my issue, but in case anyone else has this problem...
The Belkin F5D7050 uses modified Ralink drivers. The Belkin drivers didn't work for me, nor did the Ralink ones form Ralink's site. I went on the Newer Technology site which also uses modified Ralink drivers according to their product description, but somehow they must be different, as they worked fine on the G4 with the Belkin F5D7050 and it now works.

Better yet, just buy the Newer Technology USB wireless adapter. I wish I had.

http://www.newertech.com/downloads/maxpowerusbn.dmg

Belkin USB F5D7050 causes panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.