Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netbooting is equivalent to thin client setup?

If I setup a server based bootable system image on a latest Mac Mini Snow Server, and my Intel Mac boots off of this image, would this be equivalent to using the iMac as a thin client? If yes, would this work well over a 802.11n network (vs. a wired, Ethernet network)?

Thanks,
Kenneth

MacBook Pro IC2D 2.16Ghz 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 11:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 9:20 AM

it would be close. if you leave the internal disk on the client machine, users can save data to it.

i wouldn't use 802.11n for netboot clients. it may work, but at some point you'll likely experience network dropouts, which would be like pulling the plug on a netbooted system. for the most reliable results, you'll want at least 100 base-t or greater ethernet. you don't necessarily have to reqire your whole home for this. depending on the number of machines involved, you might only need a few runs from a decent switch in the middle.

again, while it's technically possible with recent macs (like the macbook air), i don't recommend netbooting over wireless.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2010 9:20 AM in response to marconey

it would be close. if you leave the internal disk on the client machine, users can save data to it.

i wouldn't use 802.11n for netboot clients. it may work, but at some point you'll likely experience network dropouts, which would be like pulling the plug on a netbooted system. for the most reliable results, you'll want at least 100 base-t or greater ethernet. you don't necessarily have to reqire your whole home for this. depending on the number of machines involved, you might only need a few runs from a decent switch in the middle.

again, while it's technically possible with recent macs (like the macbook air), i don't recommend netbooting over wireless.

Netbooting is equivalent to thin client setup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.