Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set up blueyonder email

Hi
I am trying to set up my "@blueyonder.co.uk" email in "mail".Keeps saying can't send password securely to server.It doesn't seem to be able to connect to "pop.blueyonder.co.uk". Have tried talking to virgin media-couldn't do anymore than I had(followed their instructions on website).
Tried various passwords and made sure was set to "pop"
Any inspiration??

Mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.6), Snow leopard

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 5:18 AM

12 replies

Jan 8, 2010 3:32 PM in response to snowleopardnovice

Hello snowleopardnovice,
Just checking; are you aware that in the mail preferences under Accounts/Account Information/User Name you need to enter your original email name given when you opened the account with Telewest/Virgin, not your day-to-day email name. It usually consists of numbers and letters and should be on your welcoming letter. This is also the name used to change your email settings like adding a mailbox etc. If you enter your normal email address it won't work. Hope that works, if not we'll have to think of something else. Cheers

Jan 13, 2010 12:30 AM in response to snowleopardnovice

Same problem. Spent nearly 40 mins last night trying to explain to a Virgin Media 'technical NON-support' person that no, I didn't have a drop down toolbar tab??? and that to use a Blueyonder address I need to use the original alpha-numeric username I was originally given and NOT the pseudonym that works in the new Google-like webmail.
In Preferences, Outgoing mil server is listed as smtp.blueyonder.co.uk: ******* (offline). Changing to my pseudonym obviously also doesn't work.
I have the same error message/problem in Thunderbird.
Tech support seems amazed that I am using a non-Windows OS and was supposed to be calling me back. I'm still waiting.
I receive mail OK but have to use another server to reply.

Jan 13, 2010 1:18 AM in response to snowleopardnovice

I use blueyonder email with my Mac and everything is configured to work within Mail without any issue.

I am however using IMAP not POP because I also access my blueyonder email on my iPhone 3GS, the connection details are as follows:

Incoming mail server: imap4.blueyonder.co.uk
Username: <account username>
Password: <your account password>

Note: the username is the original username for your account not an alias that you might have setup.

For the Outgoing mail:

Outgoing Mail server (SMTP) settings
Server Name: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

*Advanced Settings*
Port: uses default port setting
Authentication: None

These are the settings that I'm using and like I said I've been using this config for best part of two years now.

Hope it helps.

Jan 15, 2010 4:19 AM in response to snowleopardnovice

Apple Mail and Thunderbird now work with Virgin Media.

Port setting was 110, SSL was already off and the authentication password was the one that I had already been using.

Where last night neither mail progam was working this morning they were! Perhaps Virgin Media have done a global password reset? Perhaps Sir Richard had been working through the night?

May 2, 2010 4:37 AM in response to KamBho

All the above is completely contradicted by what Virgin are detailing as the set up for Blueyonder.co.uk on Apple Mail Mac OSX on their web site!!?? They say use your email address for user name, turn SSL on, etc. Click link below (might only work once logged into Virgin):

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&CURRENT_CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&allArticleIds=&basicOrAdvanced=advanced&SIDE_LI NK_TOPIC_ID=-1&SIDE_LINK_SUB_TOPIC_ID=-1&SIDE_LINK_TOPIC_INDEX=&SIDE_LINK_SUB_TO PIC_INDEX=&userInput=&isSortingReq=0&sortOrder=&sortOn=&nextPageNo=&currPageNo=1 &totalPages=0&USEFUL_ITEMS_FRAME_TITLE=&EXPANDED_TOPIC_TREE_NODES=&VM_CUSTOMER_T YPE=Cable&RELATED_ARTICLE_NAME=Howdo+I+set+up+Apple+Mail+on+Mac+OSX%3F&RELATED_ARTICLE_CLICK=1&ARTICLE_ID=37934&USERTYPE=0&CONFIGURATION=1002&PART ITION_ID=1&TIMEZONEOFFSET=

This shows a detailed preference panel-by-preference panel on what the settings should be.... BUT, I was using the alpha numeric user name before and had some problems, and when I checked the Virgin site I realised the port and other settings were shown (in previous years they just didn't give you that level of detail!). So after reconfiguring, my email came back to life... BUT... I'm now suffering a problem where I sometimes do not receive some emails from people, i.e. some get through, some don't.... nightmare!!!

Trying to get it all sorted, but advice shown here in Feb that seems to work for you people is completely contradicted on Virgin's web site 2nd May 2010.

May 5, 2010 12:25 PM in response to Gary Stock

I have the same problem everything was working fine then suddenly I can only receive and not send e-mail. I contacted virgin media who told me it is a simple problem that they can sort out over the phone but wanted to charge me £30 just to provide me with the e-mail settings!!!! I am now looking at other internet service providers who I hope are not such money grabbing thieves as virgin media. If anyone knows how I can sort out my settings for sending e-mail I would be grateful if you could let me know (unless it is going to cost me £30!!!).

May 5, 2010 1:08 PM in response to pineapplejunkie

Here's some advice I sent to a fellow Virgin user - not sure he's had time to try, but it sort of gave me a solution of email that was sitting on the email server, but not downloading to my Apple Mail App.

It seems the Virgin (Blueyonder, Virgin, NTL) issues are being caused through their adoption of Google Mail as their email engine at Virgin. Which means email settings & configs have changed, or need changing... but we are only finding out as it goes wrong!!!

I think I've may have just resolved it - but it's downloaded 1091 emails!... but majority seem to be duplicates of ones already sent.

I went into my Virgin/Blueyonder account and logged into web mail, then chose 'Settings' (top right) and then clicked on, 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP'. The IMAP option was already checked (IMAP enabled) but the POP download had nothing checked... so I checked one to download all mail - mistake as that's what download over 1000 duplicate emails!, and then clicked 'Save changes'.

But the strange thing is whether you check that or maybe the more appropriate radio button named, 'Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on'... none of those radio buttons appear selected if you log-out and log back in again to check??? But the IMAP one does.

Also read that Google password expectation is that your email password is of a minimum strength - many people of course set their password at Virgin, so have a less robust choice. Might be worth changing your password to something Google likes??

Good luck.

Can't set up blueyonder email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.