Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost the Mail program

I just migrated an old mac system to a new and it moved the old Mail program to my MacBook Pro with 10.5.8
Now it tells me that Mail will not work on the new system.
How do I get the mail program for 10.5.8?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 9:43 AM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2010 10:04 AM in response to Rich Rydalch

Take your Mac Pro's OS 10.5.0 Leopard installer DVD, navigate into the Optional Installs folder, launch the optional installs package installer, and choose the Mail program to (re)install. When complete, get the OS 10.5.8 combo installer from http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacOS_X_10_5_8_ComboUpdate and reapply it.

If, in your migration process, all the old Tiger (or older) applications were copied over, you may want to just select everything to reinstall from the optional installs list (Address Book, Mail, etc.) so you don't run into the same problem with other apps.

Jan 3, 2010 8:37 PM in response to Rich Rydalch

Well, this is pretty easy. It's not like you're booting up from the installer DVD and reinstalling the OS or anything like that. You're opening up the installer DVD and double-clicking on the optional installers pkg installer. Not any harder than downloading something from macupdate.com and double-clicking on that installer. Pretty quick. Not like wasting an hour doing an OS install. While you're doing that, have the combo update download running in the background, if time is that critical. Reapplying the combo updater doesn't take very long either.

Lost the Mail program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.