Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3G Out of Warranty Repair - Legit Foreign iPhone

Hi!

Here's my question. I have a legit iPhone 3g bought at Caracas, Venezuela from Movistar. It is currently Out of Warranty, and the glass is broken. Since I'm going to Atlanta soon, I wanted to know if I could get this fixed at an Apple Store, considering the fact that my local carrier is NOT offering me such service.

I truly appreciate an official word from Apple on this matter... Movistar service here is awful!

Tks!

AM

PC, iPhone OS 3.1.2, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 10:46 PM

4 replies

Jan 4, 2010 4:47 AM in response to arturo_ve

You won't get 'official word from Apple' here - these are user-to-user forums and Apple does not respond to posts here.

Apple doesn't repair iPhone at retail locations - 'service' consists of issuing a replacement phone and sending the defective one back to the factory to be refurbished.

iPhone warranty service is available only in the country of original purchase. From the warranty text: +"Apple may restrict service to the country where Apple or its authorized distributors originally sold the hardware product..."+ The same will apply to Out-of-Warranty replacement - you _will not_ be able to get a replacement iPhone in the US.

The reason is simple - all US iPhones are carrier-locked to AT&T, just as all Venezuelan iPhones are carrier-locked to Movistar. Apple cannot (or at least, does not) stock replacement phones for all worldwide carriers at all locations. All you could get here in the US would be a phone locked to the US carrier, which would not work with your SIM card.

There are 3rd party services here in the US (and elsewhere) that do replace iPhone screens, etc. You might try Google to see if there are walk-in 3rd party iPhone service options in Atlanta. Else, you're stuck with Movistar.

iPhone 3G Out of Warranty Repair - Legit Foreign iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.