Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not wake up

my iMac 27", new, will not wake up after going to sleep. The mouse or keyboard will not wake it up. the power button will not wake it up. This happens after putting it to sleep in various ways.

I have tried plugging in new usb devices to wake it up, this won't work either.

I have read other posts that have recommended resetting PRAM and SMC. I have done both of those with no success.

I have disconnected ALL cables except the keyboard (USB) and mouse (magic blue tooth).

I have removed the plug from the power strip it is on and plugged it directly into the wall and tried it again. None of these things work. Meaning, once the computer is asleep, I have to force shut it down to get it back.

I have repaired disk permissions twice.

The computer has been restarted many times in this process.

I am puzzled. I'll probably have to call apple, but that will not be until Saturday when I can devote a long time to trouble shooting with them.

Any other thoughts out there?

Again, I have reset PRAM and SMC, removed all peripheral devices except keyboard and mouse, and plugged the iMac directly into the wall. No success.

iMac intel, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 6:55 PM

HI Daniel,

*"This happens after putting it to sleep in various ways."*

Exactly how are you putting the iMac to sleep?

If you haven't done so try running the Apple Hardware Test

If you contact Apple, you might want to mention the possibility of a Bluetooth issue, read here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=825871

Carolyn 🙂
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2010 6:55 PM in response to Daniel Peck

HI Daniel,

*"This happens after putting it to sleep in various ways."*

Exactly how are you putting the iMac to sleep?

If you haven't done so try running the Apple Hardware Test

If you contact Apple, you might want to mention the possibility of a Bluetooth issue, read here.

Carolyn 🙂

Jan 4, 2010 7:54 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Well, I guess three ways.

1. Pressing the power button.

2. apple>sleep

3. waiting for the scheduled time. I have varied this time frame. Normally I have the computer sleep after an hour, which is how I discovered this issue. Then I set the schedule to sleep within five minutes so I could test the problem.

I'll try your recommendations and get back to you.

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2010 9:25 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

Thank you for putting me onto the following post:

I found my solution in these discussions.

Something I did not mention earlier was that I was not able to successfully use migration assistant from my MacPro to this iMac, so I created a bootable copy of my HD on the MacPro and copied it to the iMac's HD. Others who had done this experienced this issue with the iMac not waking up from sleep.

The solution was to use the install disk to reinstall the OS. I guess by simply choosing install it does the same thing as what was once known as an "archive and install." where all the user data and settings are saved, but the OS files are fixed and replaced etc.

Now the iMac performs beautifully, waking from sleep from the mouse or keyboard.

Thank You!

Message was edited by: Daniel Peck

iMac will not wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.