Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera Help

Im just getting started with FCP and need to graduate to a more professional camera. I dont know the AV world that well so thought could ask here...
I am working for a small health clinic looking to do good quality videos for marketing mainly placed on video host websites.
We dont have a huge budget (around $1000) but Ive been told the Canon XM2 second hand is a good buy.
One thing is - I dont know about HD. Would and HD camera be better and which one? Apart from screen size does it give better quality video than an hgih quality SD camera like the XM2?

I know its super noob style questions - if there is a good link for me to read up do let me know.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:23 AM

15 replies

Jan 5, 2010 7:09 AM in response to SWAN909808

Im just getting started with FCP and need to graduate to a more professional camera.

Are you producing talking head videos or hand held run and gun?

Since you suggest you are already doing this, how does your current camera fail you?

Do you simply want to make better images? That happens when you employ good lighting, a solid tripod and someone who knows how to use the tools at hand.

If all those are in place, are you looking for a camera where you have manual control over the iris, white balance, focal depth, video gain as well as the capability to add XLR microphones? If so, then your $1000 is way under budgeted.

But you asked a fair question. If you want to step up to a solid cam that will record very good images and will work well with FCP, look for a used Panasonic DVX100b. It will give you great control and capabilities for close to your budget. It is a heavier camera than little point and shoot models so don't forget to add to your budge for a solid tripod to carry the weight. And don't neglect adding good microphones. If you want to be "more professional", good audio is something to which you need to pay attention.

On the plus side of this cam -
• your tape is your backup. You do not have to think too hard about how to store massive amounts of data.
• you can monitor the image externally with a simple TV and the camera's DV/analog converter
• the data rate is very low so you don't need anything more than fw 400 drives to store and edit it
• FCP cuts it like a hot knife through butter even with low end computers
• it converts easily to h.264 for web without having to downsize the image.

On the negative side
• it takes more time to capture the material than the flash based cameras (though if you add in the time to convert most of them to editable formats, the time is not that much longer.)
• to get the best images, it requires you know what you are doing. It isn't a camera unthinking users

Good luck.

x

Jan 5, 2010 7:42 AM in response to Studio X

thanks Goldfish and Studio X for your replies.

We are a small operation and yes its 'talking heads' or 2 person interviews (starting with 1 camera). Its really a small cottage industry and we are gonna do it in house. We have lights and microphones and I can use FCP.

We were using a totally ****** consumer camcorder before and the results are pretty poor.

I notice Studio X recommended an SD camera. So maybe it is a matter of opinion? Bear in mind we are not a professional outfit and just looking to get a decent quality...I guess there are a lot of high end editors here used to big operations...
Is there any 'mid tier' place I can go for advice? The problem Im finding is that most places seem to be geared towards consumer reviews...

Jan 5, 2010 8:33 AM in response to SWAN909808

I notice Studio X recommended an SD camera.

Yes, I did. Unless I totally miss the point of your work, these are short throwaway pieces for display via web delivery that have limited life. More pixels are useless to you there.

In any case, do not confuse more pixels (hd formats) with higher quality. In fact, most consumer formats of HD are EXTRAORDINARILY highly compressed and are recorded on cameras with tiny CCD elements behind crumby glass and work in a 4:2:0 or 4:1:1 colorspace. All this adds up to compromise, compromise, compromise in terms of image quality.

Still, if you can totally control the lighting, have very stationary elements and some control over the cam, these formats and cameras can yield very good results. If you can't/don't, you simply end up with more pixels of much lower quality.

Have fun.

x

Jan 5, 2010 8:43 AM in response to SWAN909808

Recommending a used, standard def, conventional DV camera is great advice for your particular situation and your budget. StudioX has clearly defined the pros and they far outweigh any conceivable cons.

The only issue you cannot cope with because of your budget is the perceived need to shoot HD. Forget it. HD is totally wasted on DVD or Web output but your clients may not understand that.
Start setting aside funds to make that upgrade in a year or two. The camera is only one part of that transition. You will need tons more drive storage (and duplicative archival storage because you no longer have any tapes to hold your raw footage) and you will need all new batteries, maybe a new tripod, new protective case, maybe even a new Mac.

bogiesan

Jan 5, 2010 10:31 AM in response to Studio X

thanks all your responses.

Ive been looking at the helpful CNET website and the Canon Vixia seem to be a popular mid level Prosumer HD Cam.

However I asked myself the question - is a new HD Prosumer cam a better than a Pro level older SD Cam like the Canon XM2? The Panasonic DVX100b is a little out of my budget....The Canon is a broadcast quality 3 CCD (got great reviews) - whereas these HD cams look like handycams-are they really that high quality?

I searched online then came back here - and found Studio X has answered my question with great detail.

Thanks

Jan 5, 2010 10:41 AM in response to SWAN909808

The Canon you referenced is not a prosumer cam.

In any case, do a good long search before you purchase any Canon product. Take your time to read the tales of pain and woe and decide how you are going to address the issues should they arise. It will save you a great deal of time and angst in the future should you decide to purchase one of these devices.

good luck

x

Jan 5, 2010 1:22 PM in response to SWAN909808

One thing to consider is that you need more than a camera to do good work. I also had a tight budget when buying equipment. I opted to buy 2 Canon HV20's (bough refurbished for $450 each) and had money left over to buy a small but adequate light set, a bluescreen, tripod and other things. I've been very pleased with the video quality I am getting. I know there are far better cameras out there but for the price these are excellent and HD.

Camera Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.