Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer sync switch - at what cost??

Hi I have an iPhone 3Gs and wish to stop syncing it with my desktop PC and switch to my new macbook pro. Can anyone tell me what I wont lose during this process? Eg I presume sms messages and camera roll photos wont be affected right?? And apps etc will just be synced down from my iphone onto itunes on the new mac?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 1:07 PM

8 replies

Jan 5, 2010 1:21 PM in response to richiejazz

Transfer your iTunes library from your PC to your Mac along with all other data that you will need or want to access on your Mac such as photos, documents, etc.

If you live near an Apple Store, the Apple Store will help you with this.

In regards to iTunes content, an iPhone can be synced or manually managed with an iTunes library on a single computer only, and photos can be transferred from a single computer only. When transferring iTunes content and photos from another computer, all iTunes content and photos transferred from a different computer will be erased from the iPhone first.

I avoided this when purchasing a MacBook Pro by transferring my iTunes library - the iTunes named folder from my PowerBook to my MacBook placing it in the same location on my MacBook. I also transferred my iPhoto Library from my PowerBook to my MBP which avoided the photos on my iPhone that were transferred from my iPhoto Library on my PowerBook from being erased with the first sync with iTunes on my MBP. The latter doesn't apply when switching from a PC to a Mac, but the former does.

Jan 5, 2010 3:18 PM in response to richiejazz

BUT what I want to know is will associating my iPhone with a different computer affect any of the core things like text messaging, camera roll, settings etc etc

No.

All iTunes content and any photos that were transferred from your PC will be erased from your iPhone first when transferring any iTunes content or photos from another computer, but nothing else will be touched. You can sync contacts, calendar events, and Safari bookmarks with the supported applications on multiple computers.

Jan 8, 2010 3:37 PM in response to richiejazz

Coped from my previous post.

*_All iTunes content_* and any photos that were transferred from your PC will be erased from your iPhone first when transferring any iTunes content or photos from another computer, but nothing else will be touched.

3rd party apps are stored in your iTunes library on your computer, which is iTunes content. All iTunes content - music, podcasts, video, and 3rd party apps.

iTunes includes an option to transfer iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store from an iPod or iPhone, but this is for iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store only.

First you need to authorize your Mac with your iTunes account with iTunes if you haven't already done so. With your iPhone connected and without syncing, at the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone.

Jan 10, 2010 6:21 PM in response to richiejazz

Hi I have an iPhone 3GS which i initially synced with a PC, now i am trying to sync (backup) to my new MAcBook Pro and message says something like your iphone is synced with another itunes library and needs to be erased. Unfortunately my PC was already formatted and have no back up for it. what do i do now ? I don't want to lose all my contacts etc.

please help

thanks

gino

Jan 10, 2010 7:38 PM in response to gtq90

Most of this has already been answered with previous posts in this thread.

To repeat what has already been provided, in regards to iTunes content an iPhone can be synced or manually managed with an iTunes library on a single computer only, and photos can be transferred from a singled computer only. When transferring iTunes content and photos from another computer, all iTunes content and photos transferred from a different computer will be erased from your iPhone first. There is no way around this or changing this. No other content on your iPhone will be touched/erased.

iTunes includes an option to transfer iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store from an iPod or iPhone, but this is for iTunes content that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store only.

First you need to authorize your MBP with your iTunes account with iTunes if you haven't already done so. With your iPhone connected to iTunes and without syncing, at the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone.

Before syncing contacts with the Address Book and calendar events with iCal on your MBP which is selected under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes, enter one contact in the Address Book and one calendar event in iCal on your MBP. Make these up if needed, which can be deleted later. This will provide a merge prompt with the first sync of this data, which you want to select.

Jan 11, 2010 9:39 PM in response to Allan Sampson

so im having a similar if i have music that isnt purchased off itunes that i want to transfer to another computer how would i do it without having to locate every song on the new computer after transferring? From what i tried all transferred songs(transfer using flash drive) including some purchased off itunes freeze up on the new computer until i "locate" them. any suggestions?

Computer sync switch - at what cost??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.