Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen burn-in on 24" iMac

I just bought my iMac at the end of August of this year and it's a got a screen burn-in problem. I noticed when watching a movie in full screen that there was a black line across the top of the screen (I'm guessing from the menu bar?). Can this be fixed? Will the warranty/apple care cover it? What can be done to prevent this in the future if I can get it fixed?

24" iMac, 2.93 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:39 PM

28 replies

Jan 5, 2010 10:44 PM in response to Lasey L.

Image persistence is user caused, so I doubt that the Apple warranty covers it. The source of the problem is a static image which than causes pixels to get stuck on one color. To prevent this happening one needs to use the System Preferences/Energy Saver settings to induce the Screen Saver whenever the Mac is left unused for any length of time. One can set the timer that activates the Screen Saver after so many minutes of inactivity on the Mac or set hot corners to activate the Screen Saver or to put the display to sleep by parking the cursor in the appropriate hot corner.

To remove image persistence one can use apps such as LCD Scrub to "unstick" the pixels.

Dah•veed
User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2010 8:33 AM in response to Lasey L.

If you Google screen or display persistence you will find that folks report they are told by every computer manufacturer that it is not covered under warranty because it is user caused. Folks report that even the mighty Dell considers it to be user misuse and will not replace displays suffering image persistence.

As far as your issue there are steps to take to minimize it in the future after you have resolved it with an app such as LCD Scrub linked above. You can configure the Dock to hide in its system Preferences. Then it appears only when you mouse over to its position. The preferences in Desktop & Screen Saver offer a translucent option for the menu bar. I also rotate my desktop image every 15 minutes, which means the image under the translucent menu bar is not the same constantly.

I have a 17" iMac bought in JAN '06 and it has no signs of image persistence.

Dah•veed
User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2010 11:47 AM in response to ubacruzer

Yeah, I'm reading several instances of it on the internet. That link that was given for the LCD scrub is a product you have to buy, and I'm not BUYING anything else after I already paid for AppleCare. I looked around for a safe and free one but couldn't find anything.

It seems silly to me they could say it's the user's fault when they never tell you to hide your dock and your menu bar and it doesn't come default that way. I'm using it normally on the default settings, with the screen saver coming on after 5 minutes of inactivity. I will probably try and take it in, the only problem being that the nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away.

Feb 14, 2010 8:26 PM in response to Lasey L.

There are a few things you can try-

If you can, leave your screen off for a weekend. If that doesn't clear things up, you can try changing your background to a solid color for a few hours, or have it automatically cycle through several different solid colors as you work.

If you have a screen saver, try an intensive one- one that really forces the screen to change- something like the mosaic iPhoto screen saver.

You have to 'unstuck' the stuck pixels, and the best way to do that is to 'force' the pixels to change every now and then- or even ideally leave the power off for a while.

Many users of LCD screens report that eventually the image persistence goes away by following this advice.

Many, but not all. It is harmless to try, so give it a go and good luck

Message was edited by: kguy

Feb 14, 2010 9:52 PM in response to Lasey L.

I've been using my 24" iMac for the past year and a half, and this issue is extremely aggravating. Sure, if you leave an image up for a while on a LCD it burns, that I can understand, but the fact that it takes only 1 - 2 hours for my screen to shadow the UI of what ever program I am working in is unacceptable.

There is a significant design flaw in the iMac's screen. I have done nothing besides use my device in the manor in which is consistent with normal operation, and according Apple its my fault there is image persistence. Well I'm sorry I spent my money on it. My family has 2 other all in one PCs (non-mac), and mine is the only one has ever had an issue with image persistence.

Feb 16, 2010 6:20 AM in response to rayblasdel

I've been using my 24" iMac for the past year and a half, and this issue is extremely aggravating. Sure, if you leave an image up for a while on a LCD it burns, that I can understand, but the fact that it takes only 1 - 2 hours for my screen to shadow the UI of what ever program I am working in is unacceptable.

I agree with you- only 1-2 hours to cause image persistence is NOT normal, and I believe way out of specifications. Especially if powering down eliminates the image persistence for a time.

You have a legitimate claim here- exercise your rights and call AppleCare for service.

Explain it just the way you explained it here, and mention that there is no way that image persistence after only a couple of hours of use is normal.

Feb 27, 2010 12:53 AM in response to davidmintzer

1. Create an all-white screen in a graphics application such as AppleWorks or Photoshop, and save it as a JPEG file.

2. Use this as the image displayed by preview in full screen.

3. Turn the display brightness down (but not off) to preserve backlight bulb life.

An now all you have to do is wait.

A LCD screen can't burn but pixels do get stuck when displaying something for a long time.

Here is also a link to a java applet called JScreenFix http://www.jscreenfix.com/applet.php?width=2560&height=1440

GreetZzz T

Mar 30, 2010 5:05 PM in response to Dah•veed

David.Austin.Allen wrote:
Image persistence is user caused, so I doubt that the Apple warranty covers it.

This is just pure foolishness. An LCD screen will not show image persistence after a mere hour or two with a static image. This problem is endemic to the 24" iMac and is caused by excessive heating behind the display. The image persistence can be fixed by simply changing the desktop background to pure white and leaving it sit like that for several hours. You can pretty much remove the problem in the future by using SMC fan control and running the fan speeds up to around 2000 RPM or so. The persistence isn't damaging the screen, but it is indicative of a design flaw due to the obsessiveness with Apple over keeping the computer as quiet as possible. Under normal use in a cool-ish room, the problem will not usually show up. If you are making heavy use of your iMac (like using Photoshop or doing video editing), you'll start to see this problem crop up. If you regularly push your computer like this so that the internal temps often run hot, you definitely need SMC fan control to run the fan speeds up.

My iMac has had this problem more frequently as the computer has aged. I suspect the continuing build-up of dust in the fans and vents causes higher temps on a regular basis which leads to this issue more frequently. One of these days, I'll have to open the thing up and clean it out. I never saw this problem for the first year or so that I had the computer.

Apr 12, 2010 2:37 AM in response to davidmintzer

Spoke to Apple today regarding a very similar situation with the screen. I have change the screen every 2 months since August 2009, because of screen burn in or some other issue with the screen.
Just spoke to them today, they are saying it is an environmental issue where the machine is being used and as such they are not willing to replace the screen, given the history of my machine’s screen replacement.
This is what they replied, “the dark patches may be environmental but its impossible that this customer is the only one to get panels with this defect consistently.”
This is Apple saying this is not their problem anymore and they are not going to honour the warranty.

Screen burn-in on 24" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.