Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applecare Original iPhone Battery Replacement

My battery life has decreased significantly, so I called support and learned that under Applecare, they will cross-ship you a like-new replacement phone for no charge if your battery life is under 50%- but they put a hold on your credit card for the full amount of the replacement until the problem is tested.

My question is this: how stringent are they with the less than 50% battery condition? And what is normal standby time and usage for a 2 year old original iphone running the latest software?

The battery life is certainly not meeting my needs, but will I be charged for the replacement phone if they deem the old battery fit? Will I have the option to get the old phone (and battery) back instead of paying $499 if that is the case?

Any experiences or insight is helpful- thanks!

Original iPhone, iPhone OS 3.1.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 9:14 AM

Apple offers an out of warranty or not covered under the warranty "repair" price, which pays for an exchange at a discounted price. The cost is $199 plus tax.

Did AppleCare inform you the replacement cost for an original iPhone is $499 in this situation - for an iPhone that remains under warranty?

I had an iPhone exchanged under warranty once via AppleCare. They required a credit card in case I didn't return the iPhone being exchanged within the required time frame - within 10 business days I believe.

If they determine that your iPhone's battery does not meet this requirement, I would think you have the option to have the iPhone returned to you. You should be able to confirm this with AppleCare.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2010 9:14 AM in response to Snswp001

Apple offers an out of warranty or not covered under the warranty "repair" price, which pays for an exchange at a discounted price. The cost is $199 plus tax.

Did AppleCare inform you the replacement cost for an original iPhone is $499 in this situation - for an iPhone that remains under warranty?

I had an iPhone exchanged under warranty once via AppleCare. They required a credit card in case I didn't return the iPhone being exchanged within the required time frame - within 10 business days I believe.

If they determine that your iPhone's battery does not meet this requirement, I would think you have the option to have the iPhone returned to you. You should be able to confirm this with AppleCare.

Applecare Original iPhone Battery Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.