Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app sending sent items to the wrong folder on server

In Mail.app, I have the following checked:
"Store sent messages on the server" (which copies messages to "Sent Messages" on the server)
"Store deleted messages on the server" checked (which copies messages to "Deleted Messages" on the server)

But when I use my webmail, it uses "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" for sent and deleted files.

How do I set Mail.app to use the correct folders?

Macbook Pro (silver), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 2G

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 1:43 PM

this is because Mail creates its own Sent and Trash folders on the server by default. they are called "Sent Messages" and "Deleted messages". a webmail server might have different default mailboxes for that. yours apparently uses "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items". You can tell Mail to use the same mailboxes as Webmail does as follows. select "Sent Items' mailbox in the imap section of your email account in the lower part of the sidebar in Mail. then go to Mailbox menu->use this mailbox for->Sent. do the same with "Deleted Items".
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2010 1:43 PM in response to g-pod

this is because Mail creates its own Sent and Trash folders on the server by default. they are called "Sent Messages" and "Deleted messages". a webmail server might have different default mailboxes for that. yours apparently uses "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items". You can tell Mail to use the same mailboxes as Webmail does as follows. select "Sent Items' mailbox in the imap section of your email account in the lower part of the sidebar in Mail. then go to Mailbox menu->use this mailbox for->Sent. do the same with "Deleted Items".

Mail.app sending sent items to the wrong folder on server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.