Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to crop a QuickTime movie to delete black top and bottom areas?

How to crop a QuickTime movie? I mean, a ".mov" movie that shows a black area on top and bottom, which I want to delete.

I have tried with iMovie 8.0.5, yet its "Window - Cropping..." to fit, crop and Ken burns does not allow to select the area that I want, which is extra wide.

Thanks.

Mactel, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 4:21 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2010 4:48 PM in response to ApMaX

How to crop a QuickTime movie? I mean, a ".mov" movie that shows a black area on top and bottom, which I want to delete.

Basically, you have two options. 1) You can use an application like MPEG Streamclip (free) which allows you to reset the top/bottom/left/right screen edges (i.e., crop the active viewing area) and then re-compress the remaining content as a new file (as recommended by QTKirk) or 2) if you have QT Pro, you can simply "mask" the player display which crops the display screen to the desired mask dimension and location within the original area. The advantage of the latter work flow is not having to re-compress the file which can be very time consuming. Since the latter method may seem confusing to some, I have prepared a "quickie" tutorial which may be able to "talk" you through the process:

TUTORIAL T026: Using a Mask to Crop

User uploaded file

How to crop a QuickTime movie to delete black top and bottom areas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.