Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Product defect: No sounds when plugged in?

*Note - I did a search of the forums before posting my issue.*

I found three relevant threads (noted below) that describe my problem, though none of them actually solved the issue. This is getting beyond annoying and I need assistance. When plugged into my MacBook Pro 13", and sometimes after a long time of not being rebooted, my 3GS Black 32GB *with no software mods* simply stops making the sounds for SMS, email, and the lock 'click'.

Even if I go into the menu settings for sounds and click them they do not play. Example, changing the SMS sound from glass to chime does nothing until rebooted (but won't work regardless if plugged in to computer). The only sound that seems to continue to work is ring for phone calls. I've missed a lot of SMS and/or notifications from apps through push because of this and all I know is my old iPhone (2G) didn't have the issue. I restored today with iTunes and before syncing the phone with my backup I tried to use click sounds whilst it was plugged in and they didn't work. Therefore it's a hardware and/or software issue with this phone. Anyone know or fix or is it time to drag my butt into Apple?

_Other similar unhelpful threads:_
* http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10452100&#10452100
* http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10580383&#10580383
* http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10713269&#10713269

 MacBook Pro 13.3", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.26GHz, 4GB, 320GB @ 7200, iPhone 32GB

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 4:15 AM

I can tell you that this does not happen on my iPhone 3G. If a Restore before loading the backup still has this issue, it's clearly 'real' and from some of the linked threads (that last one, the OP just had the ring/silent switch set to silent), it appears you're not alone.

So, I'd head into an Apple Store (with your MBP) so you can demonstrate the problem. At least, they can report it 'officially' and maybe it's a hardware issue (though I really don't see how).
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2010 4:15 AM in response to Nick A

I can tell you that this does not happen on my iPhone 3G. If a Restore before loading the backup still has this issue, it's clearly 'real' and from some of the linked threads (that last one, the OP just had the ring/silent switch set to silent), it appears you're not alone.

So, I'd head into an Apple Store (with your MBP) so you can demonstrate the problem. At least, they can report it 'officially' and maybe it's a hardware issue (though I really don't see how).

Jan 8, 2010 6:11 AM in response to Nick A

Your post says you restored with your back up...

If this issue is OS related then restoring from the back up is not going to resolve it... the back up includes the corrupted files that may be causing the sounds to fail and thus using that back up just puts the corrupted files right back on after the restore...

You need to use the "set up as new iPhone" option and then re-sync your data and music etc... this will rule out an OS issue...

Product defect: No sounds when plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.