Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conversion utility for Microsoft Works 7?

I have a lot of complicated Microsoft Works 7.0 spreadsheets (.xlr files). Is there a utility or a method to convert them to iWorks Numbers?

Mac Mini

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 9:14 AM

6 replies

Jan 9, 2010 10:13 AM in response to BarkyBree

BarkyBree wrote:
Well, looks like I'm solving my own problem! It appears all you have to do is rename your Works spreadsheets (saved with a .xls extension) to a .xlr (for Excel) extension and then open in iWorks.

Microsoft Works 7 is basically Excel with a different extension.

Anyone else done this?

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing the solution!

However, I would be careful. I'm pretty sure there are some differences in file format, so even if one or several files work, it is very possible that some crucial things will not. Rename to your heart's content, but it may be a good idea to double-check each file.

Jan 9, 2010 1:24 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

KOENIG Yvan wrote:
If I dress my daughter with trousers, she will not become my son 😉

No, but it might get her into places where only males are welcomed. 😉

In either case, use the 'disguises' with caution and check the 'off-limits' environment for hidden dangers.

BTW, .xlr is the MS Works extension (won't open), change it to .xls (the MS Excel extension) to fool OS X and AppleWorks into opening the door. It may or may not work, and if it does it may not convert the Works file perfectly (which is also true for an Excel file).

Use at your own risk, of course.

Regards,
Barry

Jan 10, 2010 3:50 PM in response to BarkyBree

Just to clarify, I checked with Microsoft's own website. They states that Works is effectively the Excel engine with fewer options. So it should be safe to convert. Converting back would be a mess, however.

I did several of my files this way, and they all worked fine. All the formulas converted (which was my main goal).

So your warning is appropriate, but I did do some research first. It wasn't just an idea pulled from my arse. 🙂

Conversion utility for Microsoft Works 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.