Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Explicit Tag

Hello friends,

I have an album that apparently has explicit content, so the red, bold explicit warning tag in the song title field tells me. I would like to remove said warning tag, but cannot seem to figure out how. I was hoping someone might be able to assist me.

Also, I have other albums in my iTunes by this artist, and this new album I have obtained, though listed properly under the artists column, is duplicated showing the artist's name one on top of the other. Is this because the album labeled explicit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Matt

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 12:58 PM

16 replies

Mar 13, 2017 3:39 PM in response to GlengarryX

In iTunes 12.5.5.5 this setting is found at:

Preferences... > Restrictions > Show Content Ratings in Library

Please note that changing this setting does not actually remove the Ratings tag from the sound file. It just hides it in iTunes. In order to actually remove the Ratings tag, you must use a third party ID3 tag editor to modify the sound file.

User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2010 1:10 PM in response to GlengarryX

you mean to delete the album artwork with the "explicit" on it ?

if so, select the tune in iTunes, right-click on it and choose +get info+. go to the artwork tab, click once on the image in the artwork box and hit delete. find the artwork you want in Safari and copy the image to the clipboard. go back to iTunes and paste (cmd-v) the image into the artwork window.

Jan 9, 2010 1:17 PM in response to Jolly Giant

Hello Jolly Giant!

Thank you for the response. I don't think I explained the problem I am having too well. I am simply trying to remove the bold, red explicit warning tag that is applied to the album. It appears in the same field as the song title,after every song, but I have no access to edit it as I do the song title. I figured there must be a way to remove the tag, but again, I am having trouble figuring out how. Might you be able to help with this?

Either way, thank you kindly the response. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks!

Matt

Jan 10, 2010 10:17 AM in response to Diane Wordsmith

Hello Diane, and thank you; I was able to remove the warning eyesore from iTunes in preferences!

Part two of my conundrum is that there is now a duplicate of the artist's name in the artist column. I'm not sure if that ties into the fact the album was tagged as explicit. Normally if this happens, there is simply a typo or a space at the end of the artist's name. Oddly enough, that's not the case here. I erased and retyped all of the information correctly and a duplicate of the artist's name persists in the browse window, artist column. Might you have a tip to rectify this? Having my iTunes remotely unorganized is so bothersome. Ha.

Thank you for all your help!

Aug 9, 2015 2:31 AM in response to nwrchk

Hello,

just switching over from this post:

Is cover flow gone in iTunes 11?

because i just launched my iTunes 12.2 and felt like really needing to get rid of that "clean" tag - i'm simpy old enough to trust my own judgement.

Sidelined insertion: funny how users must cope with a withdrawn feature they really loved (80 pages of a post mounting over 3 years should be telling enough) while having to ward off a "feature" that probably nobody ever would have demanded (rating tag)... My perception was, using iTunes should be about fun...

Back to topic: the official measure

"Untick 'Show content ratings in library'."

does not work for me, that rating is still dislayed...

Anyone else with the same experience or even better: a solution?

Attempts to influence this issue by adjusting to different locations to base the rating on, did not help...

Removing Explicit Tag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.