Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Kernal Panic upon boot of Tiger on PPC MacMini.

1684 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 8:40 PM by liquidmice RSS
liquidmice Level 3 Level 3 (750 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 9, 2010 9:40 PM
Please help me resuscitate this MacMini. I've only been a Mac owner for a couple O' weeks (after a long Mac absence starting back to when the PPC was still in full swing.) Now here I am, a recovering Mac Newbie, attempting to do repairs already!

This Mini has the last PPC supported build of OSX (X.4.11).

Upon boot, machine reports Kernal Panic to wit: "cpu0: unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac 10,2"."

*Here is what I have attempted thus far:*

*Everything disconnected except monitor. Still results in Kernal Panic.
*Apple Hardware Test (Extended Test.) All tests passed.
*Zapped Pram.
*Attempted Safe Boot (holding shift.) Never booted, Kernal Panic.
*Attempted fsck (CMD+S). Still Kernal Panic.
*First disk repair (via OSX install disk) failed. Numerous errors reported. But...
*Disk Warrior: Rebuilt Directory structures, ran file scan&hardware scan. Reported numerous errors and subsequently successful repairs.
*Second attempt at Disk Util Disk Repair successful. HFS volume reported as ok. Permissions Repair also successful. Still gets Kernal Panic prior to full boot.

I Can boot The Mini into Firewire Target Mode and access volume via my glorious new MacBook Pro.

Any other ideas/suggestions? I'd like repair rather than re-install if you get my drift.

Message was edited by: liquidmice
MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3., Mac OS X (10.6.2), WORK MACHINES: 2 MacPro Quads-running Server2003 & Fedora :-( 160 GB ipod, 80GB Classic, 16GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.