Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernal Panic upon boot of Tiger on PPC MacMini.

Please help me resuscitate this MacMini. I've only been a Mac owner for a couple O' weeks (after a long Mac absence starting back to when the PPC was still in full swing.) Now here I am, a recovering Mac Newbie, attempting to do repairs already!

This Mini has the last PPC supported build of OSX (X.4.11).

Upon boot, machine reports Kernal Panic to wit: "cpu0: unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac 10,2"."

*Here is what I have attempted thus far:*

*Everything disconnected except monitor. Still results in Kernal Panic.
*Apple Hardware Test (Extended Test.) All tests passed.
*Zapped Pram.
*Attempted Safe Boot (holding shift.) Never booted, Kernal Panic.
*Attempted fsck (CMD+S). Still Kernal Panic.
*First disk repair (via OSX install disk) failed. Numerous errors reported. But...
*Disk Warrior: Rebuilt Directory structures, ran file scan&hardware scan. Reported numerous errors and subsequently successful repairs.
*Second attempt at Disk Util Disk Repair successful. HFS volume reported as ok. Permissions Repair also successful. Still gets Kernal Panic prior to full boot.

I Can boot The Mini into Firewire Target Mode and access volume via my glorious new MacBook Pro.

Any other ideas/suggestions? I'd like repair rather than re-install if you get my drift.

Message was edited by: liquidmice

MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3., Mac OS X (10.6.2), WORK MACHINES: 2 MacPro Quads-running Server2003 & Fedora :-( 160 GB ipod, 80GB Classic, 16GB

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 12:36 AM

*First disk repair (via OSX install disk) failed. Numerous errors reported. But...

Well, the Disk is now fine but you have some damaged OS files.

It appears to be time for a relatively painless Archive & Install, which gives you a new/old OS, but can preserve all your files, pics, music, settings, etc., as long as you have plenty of free disk space and no Disk corruption, and is relatively quick & painless...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Just be sure to select Preserve Users & Settings.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2010 12:36 AM in response to liquidmice

Well, the Disk is now fine but you have some damaged OS files.

It appears to be time for a relatively painless Archive & Install, which gives you a new/old OS, but can preserve all your files, pics, music, settings, etc., as long as you have plenty of free disk space and no Disk corruption, and is relatively quick & painless...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Just be sure to select Preserve Users & Settings.

Kernal Panic upon boot of Tiger on PPC MacMini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.