5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2010 8:35 PM by dbsneddon
Peter WP Level 1 (0 points)
I've been getting a lot of "...can't find the server..." messages on sites I normally would not have problems, including this site. I seem to have the same problem if I use Firefox as well.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Safari 4.0.4.

iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 (103,360 points)
    HI Peter,

    Try maintenance..

    From the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari / Empty Cache. When you are done with that...

    From the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari / Reset Safari. Select the top 5 buttons and click Reset.

    Go here for trouble shooting 3rd party plugins or input managers which might be causing the problem.


    And make sure Safari is not running in Rosetta. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. In the Get Info window click the black disclosure triangle so it faces down. Where you see Open using Rosetta... make sure that is NOT selected.

    Try Open DNS - Free / Basic

  • Peter WP Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the suggestions!

    Sometimes I could get a page to load properly if I Reloaded the page multiple times.

    I emptied the Cache and Reset Safari but there was no change.

    I followed your instructions and viewed the link about 3rd party plug-ins etc.

    So I tried disabling ALL plug-ins. Images on pages that formerly wouldn't appear (you'd just see the blue question mark), now appear.

    I reenabled ALL plug-ins and things seem to still be working. Oddly enough, I quit Safari and restarted. When I did, I got a never before seen Safari Welcome screen with animated graphics.

    I'll see how this works before I pursue the other suggestions in the link you offered.

    Thanks for your input!
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 (103,360 points)
    You're welcome.

  • Peter WP Level 1 (0 points)
    The fixes I tried above did not work. Since I was experiencing these problems with Safari AND Firefox, I reasoned the problem must be outside of the browser(s), and perhaps is a modem hardware or configuration problem.

    I initiated a chat session with my ISP (earthlink). They recommended "flushing the DNS", which required opening a Terminal session and typing in a command. I followed instructions from the following link:


    So far, this seems to have solved the problem. I will post back only if the problem recur, otherwise I recommend anyone experiencing similar symptoms try this solution.
  • dbsneddon Level 4 (1,525 points)
    If the problem does come back, use the OpenDNS servers as suggested and
    also flush the caches again.