Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MOV files won't play on Windows computers

I have a number of MOV files (shot in full 1080 resolution) that won't play on a Windows PC. When I attempt to open them I get a warning stating that Quicktime may need extra files (or plugins?) in order to play the file. When I select the link it takes me to a page with all sorts of other providers such as DivX. With that said, what is the best format to enable smooth playback on a Windows machine?

MacPro (Tower), Mac OS X (10.6.2), Final Cut Studio

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 3:26 PM

17 replies

Jan 11, 2010 4:46 AM in response to Andy Drefs

I am in the same boat. I need to view AVCHD files that were converted to .mov by iMovie on a PC.

I think it is mainly because iMovie isn't really compatible with AVCHD so it converts it to .mov.

But it is not a normal .mov!

Apple loves to help you go from PC to MAC but when you try to go back again, God help you.

I refused to pay the price for a new MacBook so bought a core i7 laptop for less than the cheapest MacBook(white)!

I am starting to believe that Apple suck!

Don't even get me started on the iPhoto and iTunes issues to change back!

Jan 11, 2010 5:47 AM in response to Studio X

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions Studio X. Trouble is I do have the Windows version of QT on my laptop. What I am trying to do is get these files to play on my Dell laptop so that I can save them to a thumb drive off the Mac, transfer to the laptop and then review with a client. Ultimately the client(s) will be using these pieces for their websites and/or e-mail distribution (I produce customer testimonials, product demos and the like). With that said, how should I be saving these so that even a lowly Windows user can view them, and with good resolution?

MOV files won't play on Windows computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.