Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Booth - Custom Sound Effect?

Is there any way I can set Photo Booth to play a custom sound effect each time a photo is taken rather than the default shutter sound?

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 6:20 AM

Work with a COPY of Photo Booth.app so that you can revert to the original behavior if you don't like the results.

Under Leopard, it's a simple matter of digging into Photo Booth.app and replacing the shutter sound-- /Applications/Photo Booth.app/Contents/Resources/photo_shutter.aiff -- with another short AIFF of the same name and in the same format (8 bit, mono, 8 KHz).

Replace photo_shutter.aiff with any sound you choose. You do have to give it the same name so that the program can find it.

Snow Leopard has tightened up code-signing. The above modification will probably break the app under SL, though it does work under Leopard.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2010 6:20 AM in response to Samz2

Work with a COPY of Photo Booth.app so that you can revert to the original behavior if you don't like the results.

Under Leopard, it's a simple matter of digging into Photo Booth.app and replacing the shutter sound-- /Applications/Photo Booth.app/Contents/Resources/photo_shutter.aiff -- with another short AIFF of the same name and in the same format (8 bit, mono, 8 KHz).

Replace photo_shutter.aiff with any sound you choose. You do have to give it the same name so that the program can find it.

Snow Leopard has tightened up code-signing. The above modification will probably break the app under SL, though it does work under Leopard.

Jan 11, 2010 1:56 PM in response to mns579

I'm running Snow Leopard and when I dig into the app I can't locate the sound file. I searched the whole Contents folder and there's only one .aiff located in the Resources folder. It's called action.aiff and it's a simple click sound, not a shutter. Is it possible the file isn't located in the same place in SL?

Message was edited by: Samz2

Jan 11, 2010 4:29 PM in response to Samz2

You're correct, that AIFF is missing from SL's Photo Booth. I don't know where it has gone. A peek at the underlying code suggests that Apple has made a lot of under-the-hood changes in the current version of PB. There are many references to things such as "PBUISoundEffect" that weren't in Leopard's PB, so I suspect the sound may now be stored somewhere outside the PB package itself.

Photo Booth - Custom Sound Effect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.