Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!! Cannot Install or View Itunes

I tried to update to the new ITunes on my laptop and i got through most of it but I get this error at the end.

An error occurred during installation of assembly
'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,version="8.0.50727.4053",type=
"win32",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",process
orArchitecture='x86'. Please refer to Help and
Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070002

ANd Now I can no longer open Itunes at all. It says some components are missing or something like that and says I need to re install but I cant do that. PLEASE HELP I need it fixed quickly

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 5:14 PM

17 replies

Jan 11, 2010 12:07 PM in response to Rye1987

After I made my reply this morning, I saw that you'd posted again about the 2330. A bit of bad luck to get two different things going wrong in a row.

2330 errors (more often than not) are caused by disk/file damage. What Opderating system do you have? XP, Vista or 7? (The documentation on running disk checks differs from OS to OS.)

Jan 11, 2010 12:54 PM in response to Rye1987

Ta!

Okay, try running a disk check over the drive that is being cited in the 2330 message. Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

[Check your hard disk for errors|http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-fo r-errors]

Does the disk check find/repair any damage? If so, does the repair install go through properly the next time you try to launch iTunes?

Jan 20, 2010 3:48 PM in response to b noir

HELP!!! So, that seems like that might fix the "error 2330" problem, but I have one minor issue with the fix. When I try to run the error check, it tells me that I cannot check the disk that is currently in use (C-drive). So, it tells me that I need to restart for it to perform. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything when I restart. I, too, am running Windows Vista on a Dell XPS 1530 laptop.
Thanks

Jan 20, 2010 4:12 PM in response to grimes7

Usually that complication is caused by something like an antivirus software realtime scan or some other process that loads on startup, grimes.

So perhaps try doing a "clean boot" of your Vista, as per:

[How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7|http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960]

After the clean boot, *do not open any applications.* Now try the disk check on the C drive again. Are you able to complete the check now?

Jan 22, 2010 3:55 PM in response to b noir

b noir, I performed the "clean boot" but the error check still didn't perform, stating that the drive was in use. The error message also asks if I would like to schedule a check upon startup. Unfortunately, when I select that option, nothing happens when the computer is started. Am I doing something wrong? How can I look at the check schedule?
All I'm trying to do is run the error-check so that it hopefully fixes whatever issues are causing error 2330, preventing iTunes from loading properly.
Thanks again

Jan 22, 2010 4:04 PM in response to grimes7

All I'm trying to do is run the error-check so that it hopefully fixes whatever issues are causing error 2330, preventing iTunes from loading properly.

Let's start work on something different then, since the disk check is being so uncooperative.

What file or directory is your 2330 error message citing, grimes? (Full name of the path, please.)

Jan 22, 2010 4:27 PM in response to b noir

b noir,

Thanks for the quick reply....

So, I tried the error-checking again under the soft boot. It began checking, but only got about 25% the way through the files and stopped. I tried a few more times, but with the same result.

As for the error, I am getting the following message:
iTunes + QuickTime
"the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. This error code is 2330."

Does that make sense to you??

Jan 22, 2010 5:28 PM in response to grimes7

iTunes + QuickTime

Are you using Apple Software update for the attempt at an update? That sometimes doesn't give the path of the file (or directory) that is damaged.

Try downloading a copy of the iTunes installer from the Apple website here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

... And try doing an update with that. *I expect that is going to fail too* ... but usually the 2330 message it gives lets you know what file or directory is causing the problem.

Can you let us know what the full name of the file path is for the error from the new installer?

Jan 22, 2010 8:30 PM in response to b noir

So, I tried downloading from the Apple website. It resulted in the same error...2330. As with the previous times, there was no file or director...only the generic message that I stated above.

This all started last week. With the iTunes icon that was on my desktop, I double-clicked it to open it, as I had done thousands of times before, and iTunes would not open. The next day, when I turned my computer on, the iTunes icon was replaced by the iTunes setup icon. When I double-clicked on that, it tried to install iTunes as if I had never had iTunes. This is when the error 2330 began.

Should I simply try to re-install iTunes with the original CD that I received when I purchased my iPod in 2005? I'm really at a loss for what is wrong...and what needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Jan 22, 2010 9:02 PM in response to grimes7

This all started last week. With the iTunes icon that was on my desktop, I double-clicked it to open it, as I had done thousands of times before, and iTunes would not open. The next day, when I turned my computer on, the iTunes icon was replaced by the iTunes setup icon. When I double-clicked on that, it tried to install iTunes as if I had never had iTunes. This is when the error 2330 began.

Got it! Thank you grimes. That tells us it was an iTunes program file that got damaged. (The iTunes shortcuts are special shortcuts known as advertised shortcuts ... the first thing they do when you click them is check against the installation database in the iTunes.msi to make sure no files and registry entries and whatnot are missing. If it it finds something missing it does a repair install of iTunes.)

So we've got a workaround, although it isn't going to be pretty.

Go "Start > Computer". In Open Local Files C or whatever drive your program files are installed on. Open the Program files folder. Rename the iTunes folder "iTunesOld".

Now go into your start menu again, and launch iTunes from there. That should provoke it to do a repair install of itself again. (Just tested on my XP PC.) Bevause the iTunes folder has been renamed, the installer will not try to remove the files in the old folder ... and it shouldn't get hung up on the file damage this time.

Does the repair install go through properly this time?

HELP!! Cannot Install or View Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.