Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font shows up in Fontbook, but not in Photoshop or Illustrator

HELP! I am have been working on this stupid problem all night 😟

I see Papyrus font in Fontbook and it checked out ok. Yet, it doesnt show up in my two graphic programs, Photoshop and Illustrator. I would use a different font, but am matching something to a project I did last year.

It worked fine in those programs before I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Cant I just drag and drop something somewhere 🙂

I have thoroughly looked through the forums and gone to all the links provided...which are pages and pages of info that doesnt answer my question.

Am hoping like heck that someone can help me and I can avoid a long trip to the Genius Bar.

a houseful of Apples, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2010 2:05 AM

Holy !@#$ I got mine working!!!

I was thrown off because of the confusion with different locations:

There's a font folder in the root Library, and a font folder in the User Directory.

There also seems to be (in my case, and perhaps yours) an application support/adobe directory in both root and user folders. This may have been due to multiple installations or god only knows what, but the fix was ridiculously easy for me. In Font book right click and select "reveal in finder" to find the folder where the majority of your fonts are installed. You can also find the default in preferences.

Once you're there select all and create aliases (or it's easier imo to opt+cmd click and drag) the aliases to the Adobe specific folder. This can be in either of the following locations (in my case it was ~/Library/Application_Support/Adobe/Fonts | but it can also be in /Library/App....same as above, just in the root directory).

Try it and restart Photoshop. I hope it works!
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2010 2:05 AM in response to Noelle Buscher

Holy !@#$ I got mine working!!!

I was thrown off because of the confusion with different locations:

There's a font folder in the root Library, and a font folder in the User Directory.

There also seems to be (in my case, and perhaps yours) an application support/adobe directory in both root and user folders. This may have been due to multiple installations or god only knows what, but the fix was ridiculously easy for me. In Font book right click and select "reveal in finder" to find the folder where the majority of your fonts are installed. You can also find the default in preferences.

Once you're there select all and create aliases (or it's easier imo to opt+cmd click and drag) the aliases to the Adobe specific folder. This can be in either of the following locations (in my case it was ~/Library/Application_Support/Adobe/Fonts | but it can also be in /Library/App....same as above, just in the root directory).

Try it and restart Photoshop. I hope it works!

Jan 12, 2010 6:07 AM in response to Noelle Buscher

I have PS Elements 8 (CS4) and Papyrus works fine. There can be problems if you have 2 versions of a font installed, likewise if you try to use an older version of the font. Do a thorough check in Font Book including expanding the Papyrus font to see the individual variations you have, eg plain, bold, italic. If any of these is duplicated deselect the older duplicate. If you succeed in getting it working delete the deselected versions.

With Hoeffler Text ornaments I have had to use Character Viewer to access some of the characters previously attached to certain keyboard combinations so I suspect that some of Apple's font enhancements have produced problems with fonts which don't properly match the new standards.

There is a menu item 'Resolve Duplicates' which you could apply.

Unfortunately I'm no expert with fonts!

Neville

Jan 12, 2010 6:47 AM in response to Noelle Buscher

It might help to reset Font Book's database and clear all font cache files from the system.

1) Startup in Safe Mode by restarting and holding down the Shift key. Once you get to the desktop, restart normally. This will clear all cache files in your user account and reset Font Book's database. You will lose all sets you've created and all fonts will be active, regardless of their state beforehand.

2) Clear the rest of the font cache files on the system. OnyX can do that. Click the Cleaning heading, then the Fonts tab. At minimum, turn on the check box for "System and Users" and click Execute. Make sure to let the system restart when it tells you.

Jan 13, 2010 7:59 PM in response to Noelle Buscher

Did the suggested steps with onyx and safe start - no luck.. 😟

This is really ridiculous! I don't understand.. I resolved duplicates, but the fonts that aren't showing up don't have duplicates anyway so I don't see why that would be a problem... For Photoshop as an example, is there a default folder I can move the fonts to?

Jan 15, 2010 2:35 PM in response to RemsX

Ok, I was soooo excited to open that first folder and see no font in it. Ahh, it's the little things in life... I copied/pasted the missing font...and...voila'. DID. NOT. WORK. Ok, I wont bore you all with all the crap I did for the next hour of turning fonts on and off. Validating. Looking in font folders. Copying. Pasting. Check boxes. etc... ARGH.

I will tell you that I did get it working 🙂 and all of your wonderful suggestions basically put me back into problem-solving mode. More hours gone from my life over this stooooopid problem!

I noticed that my font was .ttc Most of the other fonts were .ttf Ok, I'll bite. I went online and downloaded a .ttf version. It loaded automatically. Imagine my joy. New font suffix. Loaded by itself. That will solve all my font woes. Short-lived joy. STILL DID NOT WORK.

Ok, so I went into EVERY font folder I could get my hands on and basically copied and pasted it there. I did remove an obscure .ttc version from one. Restart. The Font Book has the angry yellow triangle of duplication. It will just have to get over it, because.........

We're up and running now! Thanks for your motivation 🙂

Oh, I forgot to mention. I went to the Apple store and sat at the Genius Bar for ALMOST AN HOUR while the "Genius"...came to these forums to find answers? He was scratching his head as I finally disappointedly walked out the door.

Font shows up in Fontbook, but not in Photoshop or Illustrator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.