Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Detect missing faces feature explained?

Hi,

When you select some photos, right click, and select "detect missing faces" is this supposed to make iPhoto rescan the photos you've selected and try to find any faces in the photos? As if you re-imported the photos? Or is it just trying to match faces it has already found during import with names on the 'cork board'?

The reason I ask is that I did an experiment of deleting many faces iPhoto found, followed by the "Detect missing faces" bit. None of the faces that were previously found were found again. If I re-import these photos, then the faces are found again.

Cheers,
Chris

MacBook Pro, Blueberry iMac, 1.6 GHz G5, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 6:27 AM

5 replies

Jan 15, 2010 4:33 AM in response to Chris Miner

Okay, I'll try to make my question simpler: Does this feature find try to find new faces in a photo, or try to name those it has already found?

As an aside, in the German version the menu item is localized as 'Fehlende Gesichter erkennen', which from a logic standpoint makes very little sense. I would think it could only recognize a face it has already found (ie the face is not missing). Seems like it should be either 'Fehlende Gesichter finden' or 'Unerkannte Gesichter einorden' depending on what the intent of the feature is.

Detect missing faces feature explained?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.