Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LCD/Inverter Board Issue. Get a new Macbook?

My white 2007 macbook has had a nice 3 year run. Sometime along the way I damaged the LCD display with a drop, which now has a black spot along the top of the screen. It's understandable to me that this is not covered by AppleCare. Shortly thereafter the inverter board started to give me problems. Now, the backlight will only work after the laptop has "warmed up" for a few minutes, and even then it only displays properly when the lid is at certain angles. This is much more annoying than the LCD black spots, because it literally means I need to wait to use my computer when I need it.

*My question is whether or not the inverter issue is treated separately from the LCD display as far as AppleCare is concerned, or might the backlight issue be stemming from the LCD problem which was my fault?*

If they are both not covered then I'll be considering, by necessity, buying an entirely new macbook. This brings me to question section two: *Given the lcd and backlight issues, is there a market for broken macbooks? Does the apple store offer any kind of recycle discount on laptops (broken or otherwise)? Is there a discount for Macbook users who are continuing to purchase macbooks?*

Obviously I'm trying to figure out what my cheapest option is. I would fully accept my current Macbook as is with the cracked LCD but definitely not with the faulty inverter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 11:54 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2010 2:47 PM in response to MXkillerPX

Before you go shopping for a new Mac, I would really consider replacing the screen and the inverter board yourself. The LCD is under $100 and the inverter can be found under $10. MacBooks inverters and screen are simple to replace. A first timer could do it in under an hour with minimal experience.

If you need a quick tutorial...I'd be happy to tell you. The iFixit.com guides are good but they ask you you to do unnecessary un-assembly.

Cheers,
Glynn

Jan 12, 2010 2:31 PM in response to Glynn

Glynn, I've decided you're absolutely correct. Aside from the lcd and inverter, my macbook performs fantastically and I'd hate to get a new one just because of those issues.

I've noticed that some businesses on ebay offer the service to fix similar issues (if not the same) for around $140. Do you know anything about the legitimacy of these, or do you honestly think I'd be able to do these fixes myself with no problem?

Jan 14, 2010 11:06 AM in response to MXkillerPX

Hi, I am absolutely sure you can do it. To replace the inverter (which I would do first) all you need is a thin credit card, #00 philips screw drive and a non metallic prying tool (must have a tin beveled edge)
It takes about 15 minutes.

The screen will need the same tools and take about 30-45 minutes.

And you can check out the inverter board before you close up the repair...same with the screen.
I will follow this thread in anticipation to your response.

Cheers,
Glynn

LCD/Inverter Board Issue. Get a new Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.