Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving old photos from a classic iPod?

I've a classic iPod that was originally synced with a PC that no longer exists. I would like to retrieve my old photos from my iPod. Is this possible?

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 1:18 AM

If you copied photos to your iPod using the full resolution option, enable disk use, open your iPod in "my computer" in Windows or Finder on a Mac, open the photos folder then open the "full resolution" folder and drag the photos out of that folder to your desktop. For enabling disk use look here.

Disk Use.

If you only copied the photos as thumbnails, you can't do this so you'll need a program such as this one.

iPod Photo Copy. (Windows only)

iPod Photo Liberator. (both Mac and Windows versions available)

Photos as thumbnails won't be of the original quality when copied back to your computer.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2010 1:18 AM in response to mjrocks23

If you copied photos to your iPod using the full resolution option, enable disk use, open your iPod in "my computer" in Windows or Finder on a Mac, open the photos folder then open the "full resolution" folder and drag the photos out of that folder to your desktop. For enabling disk use look here.

Disk Use.

If you only copied the photos as thumbnails, you can't do this so you'll need a program such as this one.

iPod Photo Copy. (Windows only)

iPod Photo Liberator. (both Mac and Windows versions available)

Photos as thumbnails won't be of the original quality when copied back to your computer.

Jan 17, 2010 8:05 PM in response to Jeff Bryan

Thanks.

I tried the photo liberator. It shows up in my applications folder but I'm not able to access it when I click on my ipod and look through the photo folders. When I open the ipod and click on the photo folder a photo database terminal shows up and 4 files that state F1015_1.ithmb. I tried clicking on those to open and am unable to because there is no default app. Again, I'm able to see the photo liberator in the app file but am not able to access it.

Suggestions?

Jan 26, 2010 8:27 AM in response to mjrocks23

I had the same problem, then downloaded keiths ipod photo reader, http://keithwiley.com/software/keithsIPodPhotoReader.shtml for free and it helped me open the files. So download keiths, then hit load .ithmb file, and select one of the 4 .ithmb files you have, and it'll show you a little image on the left of what they'll look like when opened, click on all the decoding image buttons to see which fits best, and once you find it hit open all images on file, and all the images will open. Repeat with all the .ithmb files.
Don't worry all your photos should be contained in the 4 .ithmb files you have.
Hope this helped

Retrieving old photos from a classic iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.