Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Express is not discoverable by Airport Utility

Hello,

After searching the forums for a while and not finding any posts that really address the issue I'm having, I've finally decided to create my own post.

I received a brand new Airport Express from my girlfriend for Christmas. I've finally gotten some time to set it up, but I seem to be having some issues with Airport Utility even seeing it. I haven't even been able to set it up because I can't access it. Airport Utility simply says that it cannot find any Apple Wireless devices and continuously asks me to rescan.

The first time I plugged in the Airport Express, it flashed the green light once like it's supposed to, then the light turned to solid amber for a couple of minutes, then started blinking. It still does this even after I do a factory reset.

Very rarely Airport Utility will see it, but it takes a lot of rescans before it finally does. When Airport Utility does finally see it after several rescans, I enter manual setup, enter my information and click Update. After I click update, I'm no longer able to connect to the Airport Express at all until I do a factory reset. Then it takes a lot of patience and several more rescans until I can finally connect again.

I first placed it directly below my desk, but have since tried many other locations throughout the house to see if it was location that was the problem. That is not the issue.

The intention is to have it join my current wireless network, so I do not have an ethernet cable plugged into it. I've tried plugging one in, but with the exact same results (Airport Utility still can't see it).

Any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Thank you!

Unibody MacBook - Late 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 8:47 PM

7 replies

Jan 12, 2010 7:03 AM in response to eiskalteschatten

eiskalteschatten wrote:
I received a brand new Airport Express from my girlfriend for Christmas. I've finally gotten some time to set it up, but I seem to be having some issues with Airport Utility even seeing it. I haven't even been able to set it up because I can't access it. Airport Utility simply says that it cannot find any Apple Wireless devices and continuously asks me to rescan.

Have you tried looking for it under the AirPort menu bar item? It may have a network name of "Apple Network xxxxxx", where the x's are hex characters.

Jan 12, 2010 10:35 AM in response to eiskalteschatten

If AirPort Utility is still having trouble "seeing" the Airport Express (AX), temporarily connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the AX. You may need to move the AX close to your computer for this and restart both your computer and the AX.

Once you have the AX configured, you can move it back to the desired location.

Jan 12, 2010 2:08 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

William Boyd, Jr. wrote:
Have you tried looking for it under the AirPort menu bar item? It may have a network name of "Apple Network xxxxxx", where the x's are hex characters.

Yes, I did do that. It only shows up in the Airport menu bar when Airport Utility is able to see it. Otherwise, I don't see anything but my normal wireless connection.

Jan 12, 2010 2:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:
If AirPort Utility is still having trouble "seeing" the Airport Express (AX), temporarily connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the AX. You may need to move the AX close to your computer for this and restart both your computer and the AX.

I will try that tonight and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jan 15, 2010 1:08 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

So I am able to connect to the Airport Express via an ethernet cable and configure it like that, but I am still unable to connect to it wirelessly. I wonder if there could be something wrong with the unit itself? After configuring it, I can't even see it in the Airport menu on the menu bar on top.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 15, 2010 2:12 PM in response to eiskalteschatten

Not sure what you mean when you say that you are unable to connect to the Airport Express wirelessly.

Your original post indicated that you wanted the Express to "join" your existing wireless network. If you configured it this way, your computer will not be connecting to the Express, you will be connecting to your regular wireless network, of which your Express is a "client, just like another computer that is connected to the wireless network.

Can you clarify what your goal is for the Express in your network? What function do you want it to perform?

Jan 15, 2010 2:36 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I actually just got through spending about 15 minutes playing with it and finally got it figured out. The problem was that I was confused about its function. I thought that in order to use the printer and speakers attached to it, you had to connect to it as you would your regular wireless network. I didn't realize that you didn't have to do that.

The other problem I had with the blinking amber light was that I had overlooked the wireless security type for my wireless router and chose the wrong one, thus it wouldn't connect at all even via Airport Utility.

It seems to be working fine now though. Thanks for your help!

New Airport Express is not discoverable by Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.