Previous 1 2 3 Next 71 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2015 1:57 PM by flashgordonp
jbksm Level 1 (0 points)
I can't do anything that requires internet access--I can't access any websites in Safari, check for software updates, access email using Mac Mail, nothing.

In Safari, I get an error message saying "Operaiong could not be completed. Operation not permitted" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:1) Please choose Safari > Report Bugs to Apple, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message. (As for what I did before I saw this message, I can only answer, "I turned my back while my toddler was near my laptop... . )

I get a similar message in Mac Mail; in Firefox, just a message saying it can't access the webpage; in software update, nothing at all.

I've looked for answers online; nothing seems to help. It does not seem to be a networking issue; according to Network Diagnostics my connection "appears to be working normally" and the other computers in the house can connect just fine. Nor is it restricted just to Safari, unlike most of the other NSPOSIXError discussions I've found. (I tried reinstalling Safari just in case, but it didn't help.)

Any thoughts? Would reinstalling the OS fix it, do you think? And if so, what do I need to do/know before I take a drastic step like that? (Don't be afraid of talking down to me .)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Sean Dale1 Level 5 (4,145 points)
    Try this. Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest you make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist

Restart and test
  • jbksm Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the suggestion, Sean Dale, but no joy.
    Open HD/Applications/Utilities/Network Utility/Ping and type in 17.112.152.32 (Apple) and click Ping. If you don't get a response back off that try entering your router address in instead of Apple's one and ping that. Report back and we will see where we can go from there
    Ping works; 0% packet loss.
    Ok, you've got internet access. Try this, in Terminal (in your Utilities folder) enter

lookupd -flushcache

to flush the DNS cache
    In Terminal, I get the response -bash: lookupd: command not found.
    Sorry, should have said enter dscacheutil -flushcache
    Hmm...the command itself runs this time, but still no luck with Safari or Mail. The same error message keeps popping up.
    Just a thought but have you looked to see if you have somehow ended up with a proxy enabled?
    I did check that, yes--no proxies. It's a very strange problem.
    Paste the IP address you pinged earlier (17.112.152.32) into the address bar of one of your browsers and hit return and see if it will connect then.

Assuming you are currently using DHCP for your LAN network addressing test by giving your Mac a fixed IP. Remember if you use a fixed IP that you will need to put in the primary and secondary DNS server addresses of your ISP - you can sometimes cheat and put the IP address of your router in the DNS server field if you don't know them.

Have you tried creating a another user account to test if the problem is purely restricted to your user account or systemwide?
    It is system-wide; there is one other account on the computer already, and I created a new one as well--both have the same problem. I'll try your suggestion wiht the DNS server addresses and see what happens.
  • Anthony Stevens Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi...sorry to bother you, but did you ever find a solution to this problem?...I'm currently having the same problem and am frustrated since I cannot resolve it...any help would be greatly appreciated!...thanks so much for your time and consideration.
  • Alexn3 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi everybody (sorry to bother you too),
    I'm having the same problem with Safari (others browsers work fine).

I also try to overwrite Safari application with the same version (I have a Mac mini, same MacOS), but nothing to do...

Did someone solve this problem?

Thanks
Previous 1 2 3 Next