Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many amps does MBP 15 2.5 draw while open and working

I am looking for an inverter for my car to charge and run my MBP 15 2.5GHZ.

I am a photographer and will be using my MBP 15 2.5 with Lightroom, so I need to run the MBP not just charge it. Importing and editing images makes the MBP run at full power, so I need to have it plugged into an inverter with the 85w Magsafe.

I need to know how many amps does MBP and 85w Magsafe draw while open and working as it would while plugged in at home.

Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Johnnykurtz.com

iMac 24 2.16 3GB and Macbook Pro 15 2.5 4GB, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:14 AM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2010 10:34 AM in response to Johnny Kurtz

It draws a maximum of 85 watts from a nominal 110 V AC line. That's roughly 0.8 amps. You would need an inverter capable of delivering at least 85 watts under full load with a nearly sinusoidal output. Most inexpensive inverters produce square wave output which is not considered advisable for the MBP's AC adaptor.

Jan 12, 2010 11:32 AM in response to Kappy

Cool, thank you!

MBP is in transit to me so I do not have the adaptor yet.

I have heard that people have seen 5 amps being pulled while charging and some inverters not working.

On another note, none of the Apple suppliers supply a pure sine wave inverter, although this is what I will get since it is a s close to "home" wave pattern you can get.

Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Johnnykurtz.com

How many amps does MBP 15 2.5 draw while open and working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.