Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode protection?

My iPhone 3GS was stolen from me, I had protected it with a passcode. I don’t remember if the erase data option was on or not.

I'm worried about the passcode protection - can the thief plug it into a pc/mac (with or without iTunes) and get access to the data - photos, messages and such?
thanks

iphone 3GS

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 6:29 AM

If you repeatedly enter the wrong passcode, iPhone or iPod touch will be disabled for longer intervals, before you can try again. After too many unsuccessful attempts, you won't be able to try again until you connect to the computer you normally sync with. Note that starting with iPhone 2.1 software, there is a setting to cause the device to erase itself after 10 consecutive incorrect password attempts. This setting is off by default. It can be turned on by tapping Settings > General > Passcode Lock after you enter a correct passcode.

Thus, the only thing they will be able to do, even if you didn't turn erase on, is restore as a new phone. Either way, they can't access your data, unless they have the tools the FBI use, which is highly unlikely.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2010 6:29 AM in response to larelol

If you repeatedly enter the wrong passcode, iPhone or iPod touch will be disabled for longer intervals, before you can try again. After too many unsuccessful attempts, you won't be able to try again until you connect to the computer you normally sync with. Note that starting with iPhone 2.1 software, there is a setting to cause the device to erase itself after 10 consecutive incorrect password attempts. This setting is off by default. It can be turned on by tapping Settings > General > Passcode Lock after you enter a correct passcode.

Thus, the only thing they will be able to do, even if you didn't turn erase on, is restore as a new phone. Either way, they can't access your data, unless they have the tools the FBI use, which is highly unlikely.

Passcode protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.