Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Life too short

I have a macbook pro that I purchased in late 2007 or early 2008. The battery currently seems to hold almost no charge. I looked in the about this mac and found the information listed below. Does this mean that this battery is no longer capable of taking a charge and should be replaced or is there something else I can do to give it longer capacity. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 695
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 695
Health Information:
Cycle count: 155
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 122
Voltage (mV): 12622

Macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 10:28 AM

A capacity 695 means that's all the battery can hold regardless of what you do. The original capacity was ~5600 for a 15" MBP and ~6300 for a 17", so your battery has little life remaining.

Unless you can see a physical defect (swelling, bulging, or leaking), you'll probably end up paying for a new battery
4 replies

Mar 22, 2010 3:14 PM in response to sportychic324

I'm afraid the reality for most of these batteries in the earlier non-unibody MBPs is that they die after a couple of years and less than a couple of a hundred cycles, sportychich324.

My own made it to 18 months and 150 cycles, so you are doing well by comparison!.

Apple's replacement processes at present seem to be:

1) If your battery drops below 80% capacity or shows other signs of being defective (sudden shutdowns, swelling etc) within twelve months and has completed less than 300 cycles, they will replace it free. If you have Applecare they may extend this to three years, though this isn't automatic.

2) If you don't "fit" these criteria then you can buy a battery at reduced price (about 3/4 of normal retail) , but if you do so it will only be covered for a 90 day period.

3) If you purchase a new battery at retail price then they will provide a 12 month warranty similar to that outlined in 1 above.

Cheers

Rod

Mar 26, 2010 8:49 AM in response to sportychic324

I really got fed up with this bug. So, I opened my dead Macbook battery, charged the cells with a pro charger. After about an hour, the cells were fully charged. I discharged the cells and measured the capacity. This came out as 3300 mAh, wich is not bad at all for an old battery.

Now my Macbook tells me the battery has 100% charge, but SL still insists the battery needs replacement. Leopard (on another Macbook) is quite happy with the battery and runs almost two hours with it.

Snow takes ten minutes to decide to put the Macbook to sleep. Despite the indicator still being at 100%.

Where's the error? Snow? The SMC controller on the Snow Macbook? I tried removing the power mgmt plist, resetting the SMC, but to no avail. Where's this setting? On the SMbus that talks to the battery processor?

Anyhow, it's not the battery itself. The cells are in a far better condition than Apple would like us to believe. One would almost think this is just a scam to sell lots of batteries.

My Macbook is nearly four years old. It has used up three batteries, one logic board, two harddisks and three power supplies. I'm up for a new one, but I doubt I will buy a Macbook again. Might as well go back to my Cube, my IIci or even the Mac+ that still works. Tho the last option might be hard to use on the net 😉

Battery Life too short

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.