Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: NetBoot will not save my filtering settings

Mac OS X Leopard Server 10.5.8 and Server Admin 10.5.3

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10027435&#10027435

has been archived, but was unanswered. Since I just had the same issue, and found the solution, I thought I'd share that info:

The original poster described how he changed the machine filtering settings on a NetBoot image he had created, but when he when to look at those settings again, they hadn't been saved.

I think this is a permissions issue on the /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/imagename.nbi/NBImageInfo.plist file, which contains all the settings for that specific NetBoot image. Rather than try to figure out the correct user/permissions, I just edited the file directly with Property List Editor from the Apple Developer Tools installer (or an XML editor would work just as well if you're comfy with reading XML -- it'd be easier to copy and paste items than it is with Property List Editor IMHO).

My issue was that I have both a Leopard and a Snow Leopard NetBoot image on a Leopard server, and new computers were booting using 10.5 as if the 10.6 image didn't exist. The only way to force them to boot into 10.6 was to disable the 10.5 image...which isn't very useful. That's when I turned to the machine filtering by systemidentifier to try to force the 10.5 image to work only with machines it supports, leaving the 10.6 image as the default for all unknown Intel computers. That's when I discovered that I was unable to same my settings.

By default, an image is set to allow all machine types -- even ones that don't make sense (like PowerPC with an Intel-only image). The plist file has a number of options, but the two we care about in this instance are DisabledSystemIdentifiers and EnabledSystemIdentifiers. As the names suggest, the former is machine types that the image doesn't support, and the latter is those it does. Thus, to enable my Leopard NetBoot image to work ONLY with appropriate Intel Macs, I cut the ones I wanted from the DisabledSystemIdentifiers section and pasted them into the EnabledSystemIdentifiers section (see the details at the end of this message). You can Google a couple of them to find pages that list which computers correspond to the Systemidentifiers (I used EveryMac).

Then I saved the plist file, and stopped and started the NetBoot service for good measure, and everything worked perfectly!

Here's the relevant section of the NBImageInfo.plist file:

<key>DisabledSystemIdentifiers</key>
<array>
<string>PowerBook5,1</string>
<string>PowerBook6,1</string>
<string>PowerBook5,5</string>
<string>PowerBook5,2</string>
<string>PowerBook6,8</string>
<string>PowerBook5,3</string>
<string>PowerBook3,3</string>
<string>PowerBook3,2</string>
<string>PowerBook5,4</string>
<string>PowerBook5,6</string>
<string>PowerBook5,8</string>
<string>PowerBook3,5</string>
<string>PowerBook3,1</string>
<string>PowerBook6,4</string>
<string>PowerBook5,9</string>
<string>PowerBook6,2</string>
<string>PowerBook3,4</string>
<string>PowerBook5,7</string>
<string>RackMac3,1</string>
<string>PowerMac11,2</string>
<string>PowerMac11,2,Quad</string>
<string>PowerMac9,1</string>
<string>PowerMac7,2</string>
<string>PowerMac7,3</string>
<string>PowerMac8,1</string>
<string>PowerMac12,1</string>
<string>PowerMac8,2</string>
<string>PowerMac6,4</string>
<string>PowerMac4,4</string>
<string>PowerMac4,1</string>
<string>PowerMac2,2</string>
<string>PowerMac2,1</string>
<string>PowerMac3,2</string>
<string>PowerMac3,5</string>
<string>PowerMac3,6</string>
<string>PowerMac3,3</string>
<string>PowerMac3,4</string>
<string>PowerMac3,1</string>
<string>PowerMac10,1</string>
<string>PowerMac10,2</string>
<string>PowerMac5,1</string>
<string>PowerMac5,2</string>
<string>RackMac1,1</string>
<string>RackMac1,2</string>
<string>PowerBook1,1</string>
<string>PowerBook4,1</string>
<string>PowerBook2,2</string>
<string>PowerBook2,1</string>
<string>PowerBook4,2</string>
<string>PowerBook2,3</string>
<string>PowerBook4,3</string>
<string>PowerBook4,4</string>
<string>PowerBook6,3</string>
<string>PowerBook6,5</string>
<string>PowerBook6,7</string>
<string>PowerMac1,1</string>
<string>PowerMac1,2</string>
<string>PowerMac4,2</string>
<string>PowerMac6,3</string>
<string>PowerMac4,5</string>
<string>PowerMac6,1</string>
</array>
<key>EnabledSystemIdentifiers</key>
<array>
<string>MacPro2,1</string>
<string>MacPro1,1,Quad</string>
<string>MacPro1,1</string>
<string>MacBookPro2,1</string>
<string>MacBookPro2,2</string>
<string>MacBookPro3,1</string>
<string>MacBook2,1</string>
<string>MacBookPro1,2</string>
<string>MacBook1,1</string>
<string>MacBookPro1,1</string>
<string>iMac5,2</string>
<string>iMac7,1</string>
<string>iMac4,1</string>
<string>iMac4,2</string>
<string>iMac5,1</string>
<string>iMac6,1</string>
<string>Macmini1,1</string>
<string>Macmini2,1</string>
<string>Xserve1,1</string>
</array>

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 9:27 AM

2 replies

Jan 13, 2010 9:30 AM in response to Julian Daniel

If someone has a suggestion why Server Admin won't save the settings (is this a bug in Server Admin, or is it a permissions issue as I have suggested), then I'd love to know since I create my NetBoot images on another DeployStudio server and then transfer them to 50 other servers and it would be nice to have the Server Admin interface work properly.

Re: NetBoot will not save my filtering settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.