Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop iTunes Jumping To Show Next Track Playing

What I would love is something that stops the iTunes main list from jumping to show the next track being played when one track ends and the next track begins. I can view current song playing any time with a simple existing menu choice. As I scroll through my huge music library (213 gigabytes) checking out what's there, adding missing art, fixing inaccurate tags, listening to music I haven't heard yet, it is a complete bother to be ripped away from where I have scrolled to while the current song has been playing. I want the main window to stay where I put it and to not jump to next track playing ever. Any help?

So as I start a song playing, then I continue scrolling through the main list, if I don't start a new song anywhere along the way, then I want iTunes to go ahead and play the next track on the list But, NOT to default jump me to the next track being played and rip me away from where I had scrolled to.

Is there a simple fix for this? Or can someone write a script or something that will stop iTunes from jumping to show next track being started?

Thanks for any help.

iMac G5, PPC processor

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 2:31 PM

Double click the iTunesDJ or a playlist. This will open a new window and play the songs there.
Then when editing in the library on the main iTunes window, it will not jump to the now playing song because it will do that in the other window.
30 replies

Jan 13, 2010 9:18 PM in response to Chris CA

Well, maybe I don't get the iTunes DJ function - But I want to avoid having to deal with an extra window where I would have to add tracks to a playlist - because I'm exploring unknown music as well as managing list info (names, art, etc...) and wouldn't know what to add before I even stumble across tracks to peruse as I scroll through the main list - and I don't want iTunes to go randomly selecting things either. I simply want to be able to work through the main list and select tracks to play at my leisure while I scroll and then not be jumped back after I have scrolled away when I might well want to let the next song play -or to pick another song from where I happen to be at after the last song ends (without having to pick a new song before the last one ends)... I never used the DJ function, so I'll look into that more, but it doesn't look like that really solves this issue either.

Thanks anyway though.

Jan 13, 2010 9:50 PM in response to svenosk

I never used the DJ function, so I'll look into that more, but it doesn't look like that really solves this issue either.

An extra window is the only way to keep the display from jumping to the next track.
I don't want iTunes to go randomly selecting things either

So you just wan to play at the top then play down?
Double click iTunes DJ, select Music for the Source: at lower left and press Play.

As you are scrolling thru the main iTunes window and find a song (or song) you want to listen to, right click and select *Play in iTunesDJ*, *Play next in iTunesDJ* or *Add to iTunesDJ*.

Jun 18, 2010 11:27 AM in response to svenosk

This is a huge problem for me, my library is not a big as yours, only about 100gigs. However, all the problems you have described apply to myself. It's extremely annoying to have iTunes automatically move the focus back to the "Now Playing".

Is there still no fix for this? I would have thought since that iTunes is in version 9.0+ now, there would have been at least some option to turn this "feature" off.

Jul 16, 2010 4:37 PM in response to svenosk

- another method to stop iTunes jumping when playing the next song: start playing from a playlist other than the one you're working in. e.g. create a playlist for all music, play from there, and do your editing in the Music library.

- to stop iTunes DJ populating its list with random songs: create an empty playlist and set iTunes DJ to source the songs from it. When you do, you'll receive a warning prompt that the playlist is empty. iTunes DJ will now only play songs you drag into the list, stopping if it runs out; and clears out played songs after the amount specified in Settings.

Aug 5, 2010 4:41 PM in response to svenosk

Select all songs, then right click and chose Play next in iTunes DJ. iTunes DJ will play all the songs in that order, with no shuffling, until all the songs have been played. Then DJ will start shuffling from the playlist selected near the bottom of the DJ window. With your songs playing in DJ, you can look at your main library undisturbed. I do this all the time, like when I want to play an entire album and then start shuffling when it's finished.

This is exactly what you're asking for.

Tracy

Stop iTunes Jumping To Show Next Track Playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.