Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-118L

I recently replaced my optical drive on my G5 as it was not reliably burning DVDs. I ordered the Pioneer DVR-188L from New Egg after I did some research online. The drive burns great. But intermittently the drive won't eject and then the computer won't shut down. I tried zapping the PRAM and that seemed to work at least during my immediate tests. But if I put in a DVD and play it with the DVD player sometimes I can't get the drive to respond afterward. Then I force shut down and restart and then it will be fine. Is there some type of setting in the computer that needs to be adjusted or does this mean this drive won't work with this machine?

Graphite 2x 500 G4 PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jan 14, 2010 7:32 AM

31 replies

Jan 15, 2010 6:21 PM in response to Keith Brown

Patchburn isn't needed in OS X 10.5x.

If repairing the hard drive with Disk Utility or Disk Warrior doesn't help, one might consider that the drive is compromised in some way, and consider a warranty replacement.

Before that, what is the jumper set to?
If it is Cable Select, try Master.
If Master, try Cable Select.

The jumper setting could be the cause of the drives unresponsiveness.

Jan 15, 2010 7:32 PM in response to Keith Brown

Hi-

That would be the set of pins closest to the IDE ribbon connector?
I believe that is Master.
The middle pair is Slave, and the pair on the left (looking at the back of the drive) would be Cable Select.

There should be a tag on the top of the drive that tells you the pin/jumper positions to confirm.
The positions that I have stated are form other Pioneer drives that I have, so they should be correct.

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-118L

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.