Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Not Receiving New Mail from Exchange

Hey everyone, in the last few days, I've noticed that my Mac Mail isn't downloading new messages from my company's exchange server.

I can log into the web-based exchange server and see new messages sitting there, unread. If I quit Mail and re-open it, it fixes the problem, but taking all of the accounts offline and bringing them back online does not fix the problem.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? I'm thinking some cache might be full or something.

Thanks in advance

Macbook Pro early-2008, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 11:23 AM

24 replies

Jan 19, 2010 8:20 AM in response to Graham Outterside

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Under Mail Connection Doctor, the Details reads "Connection and login to server succeeded."

If I open Activity, the bars on the right of the Adding Messages and Synchronizing with server rows aren't moving, they're white and blue striped, there's also a red octagon to the right of the striped bars, like a stop sign without the word STOP.

Jan 19, 2010 10:09 PM in response to Paul133

Same problems here. Glad I'm not the only one.

After looking at the Activity window, this is what it displays:
http://screencast.com/t/NWU4N2Q5M

The Connection Doctor just says that all accounts were able to log in successfully, so no help there.

After clicking on the Stop Sign icon beside the stuff in the activity window (which effectively "stops" that task it's beside), I can then right click and "synchronize" my Exchange account and it receives all messages immediately, including the inbox. It's a work around, but I'm not sure that just command+Q and reopen wouldn't be easier.

It appears that a receive action just freezes up, which is why a resync before you kill the first sync doesn't fix it and a quit+restart does. As a side note, I can send messages through Exchange just fine when this receive lockup occurs.

Apple, please look into this...you have a better mail client than M$, but at least theirs stays connected.

Jan 20, 2010 10:39 AM in response to Paul133

I'm also having this problem. The issue began with attempting to use the native exchange support in Snow Leopard. It didn't happen too much in 10.6, but with 10.6.1 it was happening all the time. The problem vanished with 10.6.2 until yesterday. Now I'm having the issue again. Not downloading new mail from my exchange account, having the endlessly spinning "waiting" icon appearing, needing to do a "force quit" to get the program to stop hanging. Sometimes it works if I close the program and reopen it. Other times, I have to delete the accounts and try again. Sometimes I have to do that several times before it will start working again.

Jan 20, 2010 2:01 PM in response to joycem137

I've never had to delete/re-add the accounts to fix it, that doesn't sound like fun.

I have been keeping the Activity window open and while sometimes I do see it take a while to sync, today, for instance, I was getting all of my mail except for the mail from my boss, which is in its own folder (folder stored on the Exchange server). While my boss' email was absent, the Activity window showed nothing.

I think I've found a pattern, though. I run Apple Mail, the one with which I've been having these problems, on my macbook, which I sleep and take home at night. I'm wondering if maybe by putting the computer to sleep kind of upsets Apple Mail, causes it to get confused or locked up or something. Are you guys experiencing this problem with a computer that stays on all of the time or one which you hibernate?

I'm glad I have company 🙂

Jan 21, 2010 7:49 AM in response to D-OveRMinD

I was having this same issue but have found a solution. I had too many items in my exchange trash that it was trying to sync. The activity window would freeze while trying to deal with the trash, only only clicking the red stop sign or shutting down and restarting mail would fix it. Once I cleared out all the folders and mail in the trash folder, the problem went away. Don't know if this will help anyone but wanted to share.

Mac Mail Not Receiving New Mail from Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.