Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syntax errors with cell references - weird

Dear forum members,

after working years in Excel and having had a look at Numbers, I face weird errors even for simple tasks.
I have, for example a formula that I enter into a field with references that I click on, let's say =B4-B3.
This works ONLY if I enter the cell references by keyboard. If I click on the same cells in the spreadsheet, Numbers enters the "real" name of the cell and this seems to cause an syntax error (red little triangle).
The same weirdness happens if I enter the formula by hand/keyboard with e.g. =B4-B3, then press enter (everything is fine), then go into the cell again, and see that the cell "real" names are expanded again (e.g. "Zählerstand 16.1.2010") in the formula. Without changing anything in the formula, just by pressing enter again, I get a syntax error.
It seems that Numbers has a problem with certain title names??
Does anyone know this problem?

Was I able to explain my problem?

All the best
Martin

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 6:20 AM

12 replies

Jan 16, 2010 9:23 AM in response to mampo

I recall a post a while ago where Numbers was having a problem with a cell name that had several quotes or apostrophes in it, I can't remember which. It might have the same problem with too many periods (decimal points). I tried the cell name you posted and had no problem but we are probably not using the same localization so your mileage may vary.

Jan 17, 2010 1:48 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Dear Yvan,

thank you very much for trying to replicate.
Yes, your assumption is correct. My setting is German in my system.
For example, one "problem-formula" reads
"=(Zählerstand 16.01.2010-Zählerstand 11.06.2009)*10" I entered it via =(B4-B3)*10.
After pressing return, I get the red triangle and syntax error.
For me, it seems very closely related to the column and row names (something which does not happen in Excel).
So if I enter everything not by clicking on cells in the formula/spreadsheet but by giving the references via keyboard, still Numbers expands them to the "real names" but everything is fine unless I enter that cell again and press return. I can send / upload the file if desired.

Jan 30, 2010 11:39 AM in response to mampo

The problem is linked to dates using the period as components delimiter.

If I use the current French format 31/12/1943, the spreadsheet behaves flawlessly without the added column.
As it appears that this format is unavailable in the default Deutsch resource file, two soluces are available :

(1) use an added column (B) storing the true dates and, in the headers of row, build the names with a formula of this kind :
=SUBSTITUTE(B,".","_")
(2) use the script which I re-posted some days ago to add at least one new date format to the Deutsch resource file.
This one must be DD/MM/YYYY
If you use it, you will be able to work without the added column.
Here, Numbers enclose the date with slashes ibetween single quotes.
=(Zählerstand '11/01/2010'-Zählerstand '11/06/2009')*10

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 30 janvier 2010 20:39:09

Syntax errors with cell references - weird

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.