Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer huge file from Fat32 to HFS=

Hey, all:

I've got a large PS3 backup file (70GB plus) I'd like to copy from a Fat32 external to a HFS+ external. I can't reformat the Fat32 to NTFS as the PS3 only reads Fat32. I'm looking at MacFuse right now, but I'm not sure if this is the right tool for the job.

AFAIK, there's no legitimate way to network the PS3 and my G5 for this kind of file access. The closest I've come is using Medialink to copy MP3/AAC files from the external jukebox HD to the PS3. When you back up a PS3, it will only do it to an external USB drive.

I've been diligently Googling and searching this forum with little success. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? TIA for any help,

G5

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 7:26 AM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2010 9:49 PM in response to The hatter

Hey, Hatter:

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the file size is huge, but that's how the PS3 backs up to an external drive. Sony must be tweaking something to get around FAT 32's 4GB limit.

The game plan is to get the PS3 file onto the rotating external HDs I use as back up (one here, one at Dad's place.) It's not exactly on a high priority in the backup scheme. It looks like most of the content I've bought from the Playstation Store can be re-downloaded; at worst I'd be out some completed game saves.

Thanks again for the help.

Transfer huge file from Fat32 to HFS=

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.