Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double-click on clips in Browser imports directly to Timeline not Viewer

It's been awhile since I have posted any Mac issues, so here goes:

I have a clip that I imported into Final Cut Express (FCE), which went OK. I then divided it up into subclips, and went to bed. Now that I have opened FCE again, my Viewer is gone (though the Viewer slug is there), and double-clicking on any of my subclips in the Browser takes my directly to a tab in the Timeline, instead of the Viewer.

I have never seen this happen before, and I have played around with the settings, but could not find anything that will turn this maddening behavior off though I do get the feeling that this is nothing more that something being turned on (or off) that shouldn't be.

That being said, if there's a way to reset FCE to its default settings, which I suspect would solve the problem, I would appreciate knowing it.

If I wasn't clear before, I am trying to get back to the place were double-clicking on a subclip in the Browser takes me not to an individual tab in the Timeline, but a Viewer window. Then, if I want to move the clip to the Timeline, then I would do so, and have the clip in the Timeline show in my Browser window.

All help is, of course, appreciated.

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 7:40 AM

5 replies

Jan 16, 2010 3:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I think I solved the problem (sort of). The clip I am using was imported from iMovie 09, after I changed it to a XML file. For some reason this type of file doesn't seem to act the same as a QuickTime file imported into Final Cut Express, which opens up a Viewer window automatically upon a double-click on the clip in the Browser.

This doesn't quite make sense to me as to why a XML file would act in such a fashion, though I had no trouble opening a Viewer when I imported a QuickTime file into FCE.

I will try opening up the file in iMovie 09 (which I cannot stand. If iMovie 06 had the functionality–converting to XML files–I would stick with that)

The XML file seems to bypass the Viewer entirely, and open in the Browser and the TimeLine.

Strange, though it does lead me to search under importing iMovie 09 XML files into Final Cut Express.

Thanks for the assistance.

Double-click on clips in Browser imports directly to Timeline not Viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.