Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MM Server HW & Snow Leopard Client possible?

Hi,

is it possible to operate the MM Server HW (with 2x500GB hard disks and no Superdrive) under Mac OS Snow Leopard Client (10.6.2) + external Superdrive (which works with MacBook Air)?

Thanks,

Andre

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 6:52 AM

7 replies

Jan 18, 2010 7:15 AM in response to andrepeternell

Hi- yes, it is possible, but a bit puzzling.

Is there something specifically special about the Mac mini Server that you feel you cant get out of just opting for the cheaper regular Mini? If you use the Mac mini server hardware just to run a client version of OSX, it is kind of like buying coffee beans, brewing coffee, and pouring off the liquid just to eat the beans.

You might have an opportunity to save yourself some money by opting for a regular mini. Of course, this all depends on your actual needs.

Jan 18, 2010 7:23 AM in response to kguy

I would like to take advantage of the vaster amount of hard disk space without having to handle the server version of the software. I used the server software for some time and it was overkill for my needs. I just need file server functionality, and may be use it as an iTunes an EyeTV server, nothing more.

And I do not want a plethora of external hard disks (which I would need with a regular MM), because of their ventilators/noise. The 2,5" externall hard disks have proved to be a very mixed blessing during the last year, I was lucky to have backups on at least 2 of them.

In the end I might well end withe the server software, it was just a question of principle. It comes preinstalled anyway.

Thank you for your comment, I agree my question is a bit odd :-))

Jan 18, 2010 7:38 AM in response to andrepeternell

Hi- Understandable. I hear you about having external drives. I myself have too many of them, and they are truly a pain.

If the money is not such a factor, then getting the server version is neat and tidy and no problem. Just a couple of things to keep in mind...

1. As you already noted, there is no optical drive with the server version.

2. The server version of the mac mini does not come with iLife 09. You will have to pay around $79 for it separately.

3. The dual 500gb drives in the server run at 5400RPM. Many users notice a significant difference between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm drives in terms of zippy program opening, loading files, and overall mini speed.

None of these are deal breakers- just good things to note going in.

Jan 18, 2010 9:27 AM in response to andrepeternell

+is it possible to operate the MM Server HW (with 2x500GB hard disks and no Superdrive) under Mac OS Snow Leopard Client (10.6.2)+

Yes, I do that. It runs fine from a clone (via Superduper!) of my old CoreDuo Mini's Snow Leopard OS.

Instead of the external superdrive (which should also work fine) I use the Remote Disk feature of OSX and just mount the internal superdrive of one of my other networked Mini's when I need to use a superdrive.

MM Server HW & Snow Leopard Client possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.