Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Sharing

To date I have been able to select Internet Sharing as advertised. However, this evening I have had to interrupt the network connections and sort out my Time Capsule configuration. All sorted and am left with a direct ethernet connection to my Netgear(NG) router with the appropriate NG network showing up in the 'fan' icon.

However, when I select Internet Sharing the panel shows: Green button Internet Sharing: ON / "Share your connection from": 'Airport' in light grey and "To computers from":(all in light grey) Ethernet checked and Parallels NAT highlighted and unchecked Parallels Host-Guest unchecked - ie all inactive to the mouse pointer.

BUT, the 'fan' icon does not change to a fan with the little arrow superimposed as before. Why might this be?

iMac 2.16 Dual Core, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 19, 2010 4:59 PM

5 replies

Jan 19, 2010 5:45 PM in response to PaulSG

Since noticing this problem, have you shut down (powered off) the iMac, then started it back up.

If you are sharing the connection +from AirPort+ to computers using Ethernet, then the menu bar icon for AirPort should be the normal fan icon, not the special one with the arrow inside.

If you are sharing the connection +from Ethernet+ to computers using AirPort, then that AirPort icon probably becomes the special one with the arrow.

So if you are connecting the iMac to the router using Ethernet (as stated), then I think you have the current setting for Internet Sharing reversed.

Jan 20, 2010 1:25 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for that - however, if explain the exact set up could you clarify please? ( I must sound like a complete technophobe but something is obviously staring me in the face which I can't see!!)

Setup: Netgear D2000 router located on primary telephone connection to house; ethernet cable to iMac via thick wall; iMac to transmit to laptop using Airport.

Internet Sharing Selection: "Share your connection from" - Airport selected
"To computers using" - Ethernet selected
(other choices are Parallels NAT or Parallels Host-Guest

...........and now my "Time Machine cannot complete back up operation because of a network problem" !!! Hey Ho

Jan 20, 2010 7:17 AM in response to PaulSG

Yes Kenichiwan is correct you have your configuration reversed on the iMac.

You have Sharing configured for an AirPort connection from the NG router to your iMac and then sharing that connection to the MacBook over an Ethernet cable.

So reverse the settings in Sys Prefs/Sharing;
1. Uncheck Internet Sharing for a moment
2. Highlight Internet Sharing
3. Share your Internet connection from; Ethernet
4. To computers using: Airport
5. Then press Airport Options and configure your secured AirPort network with a name and secure password. Press OK
6. Now check the box for Internet Sharing

My main LAN is Ethernet, but two Macs in the apartment share their Ethernet connections over AirPort for two iPod Touches in the household, just as you want to share the connection with the MacBook.

Dah•veed
User uploaded file

Jan 20, 2010 4:05 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

You're right folks; I just happened to have an outbreak of common sense and looked at my settings again and saw what I had done - then I opened up my Discussions and checked for replies!! Lo and behold - exactly as you said - "Seemple" .. as the Compare the Meercat.com advert would say (but I guess you'd have to see Brit TV to be familiar with that).

I do appreciate your helpful instructions though so,

Very many thanks.

Internet Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.