Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts duplicate in spotlight search

Hi there, I googled for this but it seems that I didn't find anything.

I got a Mobile Me account and my 3GS iPhone is synced with that, on iTunes contacts syncing is turned off and I got only one record for each one in Contacts, so it's ok here, but when I search for a contact on iPhone spotlight it finds two record for each of the person I'm searching for, the same records: one has got the contact icon on the left, the other not.

I tried stopping mobile me syncing, I synced then with iTunes (contacts sync still off), the contacts has been deleted then I tried searching on spotlight and it could still find the records!!! I waited for about ten minutes but nothing happened.

I restored mobile me syncing, contacts reappeared and the problem with duplicate contacts in spotlight is always there.

Any suggestion?

Thanx
Fabrizio

Macbook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 1:21 AM

16 replies

Jan 20, 2010 2:30 AM in response to FabGau

Spotlight searches multiple areas of the phone besides Contacts. A contact name may also appear in email, calendar and Notes entries and multiple hits may display. Each displayed hit shows the source in small font below.

In Settings > General > Home > Search Results, you can limit and order which categories you want to search with Spotlight.

See pages 37 and 147 of the User Guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Jan 20, 2010 3:09 AM in response to FabGau

FYI:

The spotlight search will bring up every contact, phone number, email address, etc., EVER entered on your phone, regardless if said contact is deleted & thus not appearing in your contact list. Some consider this a FEATURE of the spotlight search, others a PIA. The ONLY way to eliminate this data is to restore your phone as a "NEW" device & then re-sync your iTunes content. You need to decided if it's worth going through all that or just living with it.

Jan 20, 2010 3:48 AM in response to wjosten

I don't believe that is the case with Spotlight. At one time all my contacts were duplicated, but since eliminating the duplication, Spotlight doesn't show duplicate Contacts hits even though I've never restored.

If I Spotlight search a contact and then delete it from Contacts, when I seach again, Spotlight no longer shows a hit.

While remembered email addresses are "forever" in Mail, Spotlight should display only contacts that are current in the phone.

Jan 20, 2010 7:16 AM in response to wjosten

I rather this is the fact: full reset and restore didn't work for me.

Spotlight still find every single contact even if the app Contacts is empty. When I turn Mobile Me sync on I got two contacts again in spotlight result (one with the icon on the left and the other not).

I wonder if SIM card in somehow imply or if Spotlight search over Mobile Me too.

Fabrizio

Jan 20, 2010 9:30 AM in response to FabGau

If there are contacts stored on the SIM card, they were put there by another device - iPhones can't store contacts to SIMs, only read them. If they are on the SIM, it's possible that Spotlight would see them, though this isn't documented anywhere.

Have you used the SIM in another phone?

Spotlight can't search anything that's not on the phone such as MobileMe.

BTW, which iPhone OS/firmware version are you using? Have you done any "modifications" to the phone?

Message was edited by: modular747

Jan 20, 2010 12:13 PM in response to modular747

When I touch the contact it finds I see all the information about the person, as it is regularly present inside the phone.

What I tried to do is delete one contact (with Contacts app empty) spotlight still finds. Then when I sync back with Mobile Me I got only one result, so if I delete every single voice of the 240 contacts I got it should works fine...but...I can't delete 240 records...

Fabrizio

Contacts duplicate in spotlight search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.