Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set Root password AND not have "other" on login screen?

I always set a root password on any _nix system, my friends who use Ubuntu thought I was crazy until I showed them that I can gain access to their account without any kind of password, do whatever I want, and then reset the password so they'll never know I was in, in less than five minutes. Now they believe me.

So I set the root password on my SL box, and now upon boot I have to choose between logging in to my account, and logging in to "Other". I don't have this problem until I set the root password, upon boot I could simply type my password and move on if the root is still not secured. This problem was also there in Leopard.

Is there a way to tell SL to automatically assume I want to log in to the only true user account on the machine? If not, it's not much effort to select my account, but it's not a matter of it being too much effort, it's a matter of there not needing to be any effort.

Macbook Pro 4,1 Penryn, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 3:34 AM

6 replies

Jan 20, 2010 4:38 AM in response to Veovis Muad'dib

I don't know of a way to get rid of other without disabling root. You can still have a password, though. You can set your account to Automatically log in in the Accounts System Preferences. Look at Login Options.

Just curious, can you get into your Mac accounts without the password without a root password set and root disabled as it is by default?

Jan 20, 2010 6:43 AM in response to Veovis Muad'dib

Morning,

To hide 'Others...' from the login window, please type the following command in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED FALSE

It will prompt you to enter your admin password.

To unhide 'Others...' from the login window, use the same command but type TRUE at the end of the command instead of FALSE or you can delete the com.apple.loginwindow.plist from the Preferences folder.

Hope this helps,
KD

Set Root password AND not have "other" on login screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.